Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a kick start kit on my superglide. JP cycles sells one but says the kick arm doesn't clear standard pipes. I however have thunderheaders on mine. Has anyone else done this and know any problems I might encounter. Thanks in advance.

(im in 29 palms and it gets cold as hell in the morning during the winter and the battery just can't handle it sometimes.)

·
Killer of Souls
10,862 Posts
I want to put a kick start kit on my superglide. JP cycles sells one but says the kick arm doesn't clear standard pipes. I however have thunderheaders on mine. Has anyone else done this and know any problems I might encounter. Thanks in advance.

(im in 29 palms and it gets cold as hell in the morning during the winter and the battery just can't handle it sometimes.)
I think a battery tender may be an easier option. :dunno

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts
There is different options for kicker arms,I believe thats the clearance issue for 1. Another, does your exhaust block the trans cover where the kicker would sit?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired citizen
22,094 Posts
FYI. If the battery is low enough that the engine won't start it won't start with a kicker either. The ICM has to see a specific voltage to fire the ignition. I believe that's 11.6v with the starter spinning.

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts
shot in the dark here, but with auto batts you can get different batteries with higher or lower cold cranking amps. Same with bike batteries? Also, would a high torque starter be of help in not requiring you to crank it over as much or drag on the battery as much when cold. Just a shot in the dark like I said.

But then again, it would be cool to have a kick starter on the bike...don't forget the compression release, just sayin'

·
Registered
36,972 Posts
I sure wouldn't want to try kick starting these bikes with the stock ignition. Needs to make one full revolution of the crank before it will generate a spark, unlike points ignition.

[edit] Disregard, missed where he had an Evo, not a TwinCam. Above comment does not apply. [/edit]

·
Registered
313 Posts
I can tell ya one cracked ankle an u will wish u had a tender. I crack mine at 14 on an ole Harley sprint @#$% that hurt. After that parked on a hill an jumped started.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts