Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 96 fxd im wanting to install a kick start on it i was wondering if anybody has done this? if so what kind of complications will i run into?

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
i have a 96 fxd im wanting to install a kick start on it i was wondering if anybody has done this? if so what kind of complications will i run into?
You have an excellent chance of destroying your knee and ending your riding trying to kick start these larger motors. Or you will put yourself on a fast track for early knee replacement and early senior citizenship.

I agree it's not as macho as my previous bike but I will be able to ride into my 70's with electric start.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Now that the Evo has been out of production for 16 years, the aftermarket kick start kits may be hard to find. They are also expensive, often not compatible with your exhaust (hit) and may not work with your ignition (some require two revolutions to fire).
I have a Shovelhead that I removed the elec. start from cuz I wanted a kick only bike. Even though the bike starts with few kicks, the novelty got old quick, and the bike sits.

·
Sarcastic Member
35 Posts
There was a time when you used to have to run around to the front of your car a spin a crank sticking out of the front end to start it. You don't see the car crank or the kick start bike anymore, and both for the same reasons. 1. starter and battery technology have advanced to the point that they are reliable. 2. Engine displacement got to the point that a kick start system was no longer practical. I would not go back to a kick start bike any more than I would go back to cooking in a cast iron kettle in the fire place.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have a kick start on my shovel & electric. I kick it once in a while, usually use the electric.

I will cook in a cast iron kettle on the fireplace or wood burning stove any day during the winter.

·
Sarcastic Member
35 Posts
I have a kick start on my shovel & electric. I kick it once in a while, usually use the electric.

I will cook in a cast iron kettle on the fireplace or wood burning stove any day during the winter.
The point was, as a daily thing, not in the winter or....when I want to. But I get ya, cooking on the fire every now and again is fun. just try it every time you want breakfast. technology advances for a reason.

·
AZ Daily Rider
60 Posts
If you do go this route it might be wise to look at compression release valves, which will require machining.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
And timing retard

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Kick start conversions can still be found. Do a google search for Harley 5 speed kick starts. A couple quality companies still offer them.

Complications. As stated, compression = kick-back. Cure = compression reliefs.
Pipe clearance. Some pipes run to high and cross right over what would be the exit point of the kicker shaft.
Other pipes may not block the exit point but still stick out to far for the kick arm to clear them on the down stroke.

Extended shafts and modified kick arms are made to help compensate for this. May or may not work for you.

Thinking seriously about a kicker on T~S down the road. Love the retro-look and a nice back-up as opposed to being stranded with a dead battery.
Had one on my 83 modified 80" Shovel along with electric.
Some people have just gone soft I guess. :dunno

·
Just Ride
3,767 Posts
Stroked shovel with kicker, got a button too. Back up. Never tried to kick start a twin cam. Can't be as hard as a stroker.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Stroked shovel with kicker, got a button too. Back up. Never tried to kick start a twin cam. Can't be as hard as a stroker.
That would be the truth.....except I ain't ever seen a TC with a kickstart...:think

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
An Evo only has one cam but that's irrelevant. I have a kickstart only on my hopped up Ironhead and it will make you hate life if it kicks back on you. My Shovel had one and I took it off.

Do they look really cool? Yeah. Is it feasible when you have an electric start? Nope.

That 80" Evo will mess you up real bad if you don't know what you're doing. There is an art to kicking over a motor. A hot motor will do different things than a cold motor too. And you're going to look really dumb trying to impress some chick when the bike knocks your knee into your teeth or refuses to start period. First hand experiences here. But I will say this, when you crank it up and give it one good kick and it fires right up there is no better feeling of self accomplishment and awesomeness than that.

-Rohan

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I don't even remember the bike but, back in the late 60s my uncle and my old man were in the garage working on one of their scoots. My old man throws a leg over the seat and then flips the kicker out and goes to give it kick... This is where time literally slowed down for me... He gets to the top of his jump, trying to put all of his (probably) 150lbs into it. About halfway through the downstroke I'm deafened by the backfire and awestruck by the sight of my old man flying over the bars and crashing in a heap into the wall of the garage. I laughed my arse off then the old man whooped it back on...

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Can a bike with fuel injection even be kickstarted?
I think Dave63 posted something to the affect of "no". There are self diagnostics run during the start cycle.
With a kicker you are only getting roughly half a cycle per kick. Where of course the starter motor spins it much faster and continuously.

That is pretty close to what he said anyways....I think.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This.

I could fire my dad's 86" Shovel in 2 kicks or less, when I was 12 y/o. Big cam with lotsa duration- kicked over like a bicycle. Can't imagine kicking a 80" Evo'd be that big a deal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts