Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of an '09 Ultra Classic and first Harley I've owned. I like everything about the bike but the kickstand. Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere (if so please point me where in forum ... I've looked around, thx!). Obviously have to be very careful where bike is parked if payment slopes away or bike will topple over even when kickstand down. Is there a longer kickstand on market or extension that you would recommend? Bike leans over waaaaayyyyy too far! thanks in advance.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Welcome. Although your stand feels sloppy it is solid. If you lay down on the ground and look under your kickstand you will see that a tab comes down into a slot and allows some movement but wont let the bike go too far forward or back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Heck yeah I dislike the leaning as well. AND, I still can't believe that something that cost as much as these HDs do, they aren't manufactured with a center stand. So, I installed an after market center stand yesterday and love it. The thing is almost complete hidden under the frame just in front of the rear wheel. Now the bike is erect when parked and maintenance/cleaning is made so much easier. Highly recommend one.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hey Top what centerstand did you go with?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Center Stand

I picked one up from American Classic Motors (EBay) for 121.00; you'll have to Google them for their phone number or email. It is a two piece affair with two 11/16" bolts. Should you get one, be careful of the left side bolt. IMO it came too close to the tranny so I added a flat washer to add distance between the end of the bolt and the tranny. Good to go now. I couldn't believe how easy it was to use; tremendously easier than using the center stand on my 88 Venture Royale. Even mounting the bike is easier. I can now just place my entire weight on the left passenger floor board, swing my other leg over and I'm on. No more having to stretch my right leg all the way over the driver back rest. May be the best 121 bucks I've spent next to a couple kegs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All, thanks for the info. I too had looked into the after market centerstand and do plan to add one as well. Thought for quick stops that I might find something better in the way of replacing or extending the current kickstand.

eGlideGoodies (www.eGlideGoodies.com) sells both a model that leaves the rear wheel on the ground and also a model that lifts the rear wheel. Several different types for lowered and non-lowered bikes as well as chrome or non-chrome options.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm also kind of interested in a center stand. BUT -- I use a Sears bike lift (jack) for cleaning, working on the bike, etc. Does anyone who has a center stand mounted also use a bike lift? When the center stand in mounted - does (will) it interfear with the bike lift (it has two lift arm/pads that sit perpendicular on the frame rails)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a new owner of an '09 Ultra Classic and first Harley I've owned. I like everything about the bike but the kickstand. Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere (if so please point me where in forum ... I've looked around, thx!). Obviously have to be very careful where bike is parked if payment slopes away or bike will topple over even when kickstand down. Is there a longer kickstand on market or extension that you would recommend? Bike leans over waaaaayyyyy too far! thanks in advance.
There was a run change on early production bikes. I think bikes built after Oct. 2008. They have a different jiffystand mount and sit about 2" too low. The correct mount is part# 50096-09 this is the part number that is in the parts book. Harley has not issued a service bulletin as of yet but if you call customer service they will tell you about it if you ask. My dealer knew nothing about it, and had to call Harley. They will fix it under warranty. (make sure you ask)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was a run change on early production bikes. I think bikes built after Oct. 2008. They have a different jiffystand mount and sit about 2" too low. The correct mount is part# 50096-09 this is the part number that is in the parts book. Harley has not issued a service bulletin as of yet but if you call customer service they will tell you about it if you ask. My dealer knew nothing about it, and had to call Harley. They will fix it under warranty. (make sure you ask)
Thanks for the tip. I'll call the dealer where I purchased it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also went with the center stand...Harley Davidson product of course...which means I paid way too much, but what the hell...it looks great and does the job...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was at the dealer today complaining about how far my new 09 leans compared to my 06. If I am parked on any kind of a angle I have all I can do to get it up. The checked it all out and changed the Jiffy Stand, but not the mount. It made no difference. Is it the bikes built before or after Oct. 2008 that had the problem and can you tell me what the customer service number is? I just joined the forum and really appreciate the input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some early 09s had the wrong jiffy stand bracket installed. There is a new replacement part 50096-09.

The incorrect bracket measures 7/8" and the new improved bracket measures 1" long. This may be hard to tell or measure unless you pull your side stand off and get to the bracket itself to measure. Certainly by "eyeballing" it is going to be too difficult to tell, because we're only talking 1/8" difference here. But the fact is, that extra 1/8" helps the bike not to lean as far as it did with the wrong bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the street glide, it seems like the kickstand does not go forward enough, when I park, I fear that the kickstand will go back up, It doesn't look like it is in the right position.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
This has been Addressed a Few Times about the Kickstands, they can be Tricky at times and they do Lock into place when you put them down and you have to watch it just to be sure as it has caught My Attention a Few Times. I did add the E-Z Up Center Stand and it does Help and is Easy to Operate.

www.wheeldock.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank You

Customer care phone# 414-343-4056
Thanks for the info. I contacted customer care, they looked up my VIN and agreed it is in the batch with the problem and gave me a reference number for the dealer. It is under warranty. Three dealers didn't have a clue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A member on another site just posted that the service bulletin is out on the kickstand. The bulletin number is m1243 09, dated March 18, 2009.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm also kind of interested in a center stand. BUT -- I use a Sears bike lift (jack) for cleaning, working on the bike, etc. Does anyone who has a center stand mounted also use a bike lift? When the center stand in mounted - does (will) it interfear with the bike lift (it has two lift arm/pads that sit perpendicular on the frame rails)?
I bought my 2003 ultra used and it had a center stand on it when I got it. The center stand has a Harley sticker on it so I'm sure it's HD product. I have plenty of clearance between the center stand and floor jack.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts