Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 09 Streetglide, it feels like the bike is going to creep forward sometimes and fall off the kickstand. Is this normal? The kickstand doesn't feel really secure at all. my buddy got an 09 Ultra Glide and feels the same way about his.
I always figured most kickstands would kind of "click" into place. This really worried me on any type of slight decline and even level pavement as well. Thanks. Mike

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
My neighbor's Roadking (2002) is the same way. He just gets in the habit of parking it in 1st gear. With the 2009 safety switch, there's no issues of starting it in gear.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Look at your kickstand. There's a big tab on the top that aligns with a slot when its extended. When you put weight on the stand, the tab fits into the slot. It may move a tiny but but it won't fold on you as long as there's weight on it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotcha. Thanks. I always park my bike in gear anyway, but it's still a scary image of me coming out and my bike's on it's side. I figured with a bike that heavy, they'd have the kick stand a little more stable in the down position. Thanks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll do that. Thanks. It just creeps me out a little. Guess I'm not used to the bike yet. A buddy of mine sent me a technical service bulletin related to getting the metal holder swapped out on those bikes where the bike leans over too much or feels too heavy when righting it. I'll take a look at it soon. Thanks for the info.

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
i seen on one of these HD forums there was a recall on the jiffy stand mounting bracket. something to do with lean angle and a possibility of FALLING OVER. anyway i can't remember where i read it, but it was in the last week that the recall come out and most dealerships don't want to hear that recall crap. if i remember right it was the early model ultra classic's that were affected.

edit: found it, it was here that i read it! http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4586&highlight=lean+angle&page=2

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea what I read about it was that the motorcycles were leaning too much, making it harder to put upright, not as much about creeping forward and rolling off the kickstand. But thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the 07 and yeah the kickstand just doesnt seem like it is locked in or in a proper position....Always worry that it is going to fall over.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have a 08 roadglide and i was told by the dealer these stands are designed to so u can park them on a incline and they will not topple over. so i tried it and it does what its suppose to do. just my 2cents

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard the same thing. It just freaks me out every time I put it down and try to walk away. I mean, I hear what you are saying, but I'd hate to have it not work as advertised. I'm just used to more stable kick stands. Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I heard the same thing. It just freaks me out every time I put it down and try to walk away. I mean, I hear what you are saying, but I'd hate to have it not work as advertised. I'm just used to more stable kick stands. Thanks.
You must've come from metrics, too. I had a hard time getting used to it, myself. The way the H-D stand is, compared to a metrics stand..the metric's doesn't "lock" into place with the weight of the bike, like the H-D's does. Try this, when you put your bike on the jiffy stand and dismount, push the bike forward with some effort. The stand won't fold back due to the design. A metric bike's stand will fold with enough of a forward push. I used to think that H-D was goofy for that sloppy feeling in the stand, but now I understand that it's a superior design to what I was used to.

JD

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
i come from metrics, now i ride a vrod. i asked about the kickstand while lookin at the bike before purchase. a long time friend was the one that sold me the bike new. anyway while on the stand in the parking lot he hit the start button and the bike jumped forward about 6 or 8 inches but never fell over. he says they designed that way so if you do happen to bump the start while not on the bike and it in gear it won't fall over. scared the shit out of me but it worked............ i still think it leans over to far.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My problem with parking in gear is that I always forget. I jump on and hit the starter, learching myself out into the street.

And everybody sees you do it too...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that's funny as sh*t. LOL
Well, at least according to one rider, the kickstand will still keep you wheels down when you do that. I worry about it, too, as I've done it in my garage and I'm not trying to create a back door to the garage.

·
Registered
124 Posts
On my 09 Streetglide, it feels like the bike is going to creep forward sometimes and fall off the kickstand. Is this normal? The kickstand doesn't feel really secure at all. my buddy got an 09 Ultra Glide and feels the same way about his.
I always figured most kickstands would kind of "click" into place. This really worried me on any type of slight decline and even level pavement as well. Thanks. Mike
The kickstands on the 2009s had the wrong bracket put on and this is why it feels like it is going to fall. It is under warranty, because I called WI. You have to call them and give them your VIN and they will check for you.
Also, the so called safety feature for the 09's was never put in to effect, where you could only start the bike in Neutral. I checked with them (Harley WI) on that also, because my 09 Softail wouldn't start with the clutch pulled. Come to find out, it was the switch. It was dicussed to do the safety, but never went through.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I read the Technical Service Bulletin reference the bracket, and it looks to me like it addresses the bike leaning over too far, not necessarily "not locking." People were complaining the bike was much too heavy to put in the up position, so the bracket replacement takes care of that by having the bike sit up straighter when the kickstand is deployed. Of course, with that situation, I'd worry that the bike might go over sideways. My bike doesn't lean too far while on the kickstand, so I'm not inclined to get it swapped out. The other thing to think about is if you don't like the new bracket, you are out of luck swapping it back since they never made the original brackets as replaceable parts. Something to think about.
I think I just had the kickstand wrong. It "feels" like it will roll forward and go down, but everyone else who has experienced that tells me that it won't. I'll try it out myself sometime with someone sitting on it. Thanks, though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
kick stand

I always leave my 07 ultra in gear, give it a slight push forward so that any minimal roll is eliminated, then put down the kickstand. Only time I leave it in neutral is in my garage.:thumb

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a great idea. I haven't done it in that order, and I guess that's part of the problem. I always put it down as soon as I shut it off. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have the same fear, as I'm dismounting my 2008 ultra classic, it seems to creep forward and I'm grabbing handle bars thinking it's starting to roll. Makes me feel stupid because after it moves about an inch forward, it grabs and holds fairly tight. But its that inch that give you a heart start. I never thought to park it in gear. I'm going to put that in my plan from now on because when yoou live on MIssouri, there are no flat spots to park on. Ron

1 - 20 of 33 Posts