Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
............ Just wondering if this is happening to anyone else. Lately, here in NJ, there is no longer any such thing as a relaxing ride. There are SO MANY cages clogging all of the roads and their driving has become over the years, FAR more careless and FAR more aggressive. Between cell phones, texting, and too many cages and not enough road, complicated further by construction on virtually EVERY road, riding my scoot is becoming a less than relaxing adventure. Just an hour ago, I came to a full stop at (god forbid) a yield sign at the end of a rather bumpy and sharply angled highway exit. The douchebag behind me leaned on his horn while flying around me on a one lane exit cutting me off in the process.

This is unfortunately NOT all that rare an event. My favorite time to ride has become 4 in the morning for a little mental floss before work. There are few if any cops, no young girls in hot rods updating their facebook status, and the people that are passing me do it on the left where they belong.

I'm sure there are a lot of riders out there in busy metropolitan areas, how DO YOU COPE?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Well being from Maine there is plenty of open road..:).. How long does it take to get out of the city because riding in that crap I can see why it take the fun out of it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mat, a good 45 minute MINIMUM to get out of the crap, but even then, the highways are clogged with people going to the beach and back in one direction, out to PA in another, and north isn't much better. During the week, clogged with truck traffic.

I just got back from Maine a few weeks ago. I'm kind of jealous, you DO have some nice open road, but dude, your winters do SUCK (LOL).

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
That's why I'm so glad we got away from Chicago/Gary. We live in the country outside a little Podunk town in northern Indiana. I love roaming the back county roads and an occasional highway but I do everything I can to avoid the expressway and toll road into Chicago.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I moved from the congested East coast of Florida to a smaller town in middle Georgia. I can be on lightly traveled country roads in 10 miles.
The drivers are just as stupid, but not as many. The pleasure factor of a ride goes up when I'm alone on a road.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
I'm in a small town but still have close calls with brain dead cell phone users.

On my rude home at 5pm every night I swear 8 of 10 drives are on their cell phones completely oblivious to what's going on around them. They got the cell phone stare gong on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,018 Posts
Can't get much more into the woods than I am and we are still having to deal with idiot cagers and their electronics toys. Hater to say it but we just have too many people squeezed onto this rock these days. Not much to do but make the best of it the best way we can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not sure where the OP is exactly in NJ, but I know what he is talking about.

I never ride in the right lane on a highway and always go faster than the flow of traffic and gun it through the blind spot area every time. I visually profile the vehicles around me because certain types of vehicles or things on a vehicle can give you a hint as to whether the driver has their head up their ass or is likely on a cell phone.

Not even an hour ago, I was out for a quick after dinner ride with my daughter on the back. Some douche in an Audi SUV pulls rolls through a stop perpendicular to my direction of travel, nearly hits the car coming in the near lane. I slammed on the brakes hard. At the next light, said douchebag is right behind me and the whole time he is talking to his kids in his rearview mirror which was probably what he was doing when he blew through the stop sign. People are idiots.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Agreed, I'm starting to not ride at certain times of the day,from 2pm on school buses start rolling and drivers can't wait to get their route over turning right in front of you, and all the moms in mini vans racing to get kids to their sporting practice all while talkin on cell. I had one lady blow a four way stop sign and at the next light apologize to me.yea that really helps....not sure if its just me, but certain times of the day just ain't worth the ride. Traffic dont bother me too much,got no patience for azz hole drivers whether on my bike or car.

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
I live close to the most congested part of my City , about like a suburb sized area of most major cities 104K pop, I can be on open county roads in about 5min, riding paradise in my area, except for dumb animals not using the cross walks :laugh

In town is full of people in the electronic zone doing dumb [email protected]#$ instead of watching whats happening , sitting at green lights and arrows is getting more common , double dipping lanes , stupid maneuvers because we weren't looking when we past our turn , many of them might as well be smoking dope.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
............ Just wondering if this is happening to anyone else. Lately, here in NJ, there is no longer any such thing as a relaxing ride. There are SO MANY cages clogging all of the roads and their driving has become over the years, FAR more careless and FAR more aggressive. Between cell phones, texting, and too many cages and not enough road, complicated further by construction on virtually EVERY road, riding my scoot is becoming a less than relaxing adventure. Just an hour ago, I came to a full stop at (god forbid) a yield sign at the end of a rather bumpy and sharply angled highway exit. The douchebag behind me leaned on his horn while flying around me on a one lane exit cutting me off in the process.

This is unfortunately NOT all that rare an event. My favorite time to ride has become 4 in the morning for a little mental floss before work. There are few if any cops, no young girls in hot rods updating their facebook status, and the people that are passing me do it on the left where they belong.

I'm sure there are a lot of riders out there in busy metropolitan areas, how DO YOU COPE?
Where in Jersey are you at? There are plenty of good roads to ride here. No, the Turnpike isn't one of them!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Nor is the GSP, Yes there is a lot of great back rode riding, pine barons is a real nice run,back roads to Atlantic Highlands/ Sandy hook area is nice. Recently took all back roads to LBI,real nice run. I'm in Monmouth cty, I think depending what x of day it's the 15-20 min. It takes to get to back roads with mall traffic,idiot drivers and all is where sometimes ya get some close calls

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys, I'm in Union county just off the parkway, pretty much dead center of the most densely populated part of the state. Yeah, there is some great riding down the shore, northern Morris, Warren and Sussex counties. The Poconos in PA are only an hour out, but getting there can be a bit of an ordeal.

It's my cross to bear, not a lot I can do other than be careful and complain about it here. I've been riding on and off for 40 years, but the conditions for bikers has deteriorated significantly in that time. Thanks to the proliferation of electronic toys and the profound stupidity of the morons using them while driving, I guess everyone has to be more careful.

I'm just curious who else has noticed the conditions deteriorating and what they're doing to cope. Do you ride less? Are you just more careful? Have you moved to get out of the area? I'm retiring early, in 401 days. A LOT more opportunities to ride, but it may be out of Jersey. My wife's been talking about central Florida and North Carolina.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did a ride from my area (Northwestern Bergen County) up to Barryville, NY (north or Port Jervis) and it was pretty leisurely for the most part of the 150+ miles I rode. I realized this weekend that if I ride up to Ringwood and get to the bottom of Skyline Drive, I can turn left or right and get out of the shit for a very long way. It is about a 15 minute ride to get to that point and it is 15 minute soccer mom parade most of the time.

My parents just moved down to Jamesburg/Monroe and I haven't ridden down there yet because most times I have the family, but a solo ride partly on the GSP to 129 and the rest on the TPK should be "interesting". Route 18 is insane in a car let alone a bike. I won't go near it to get there that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts