Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a bunch of us went for a short 2 hour ride last friday. When pulling in I had a new noise that I thought may be a loose crank sprocket. I pulled the primary cover and it seemed tight but I retorqued it and filled it back up with fluid. Curiosity got to me and I grabbed another filter and dumped my old one. It looked like a bunch of strippers danced on glittery christmas cards. So I guess my question is how much to have a bottom end rebuilt. It is a good bit beyond my ability when .0001 makes a difference. Any ideas to how screwed I am. Im less than 2000 miles on a new top end with cams.

14050.jpg

·
Asylum Inmate
11,737 Posts
How many miles on the bottom?

How many miles on the fluid you filtered to get the stripper glitter?

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
2000 Sporty and ya gotta pay someone to do the rebuild for ya ? If it turns out to be the bottom end I'd seriously consider trading up to something a bit newer.
The price difference between the rebuild and trading up to maybe an '04 Sporty isn't going to be that much.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Silver flakes. I figured it was lower end bearings but was hoping for something different. About what kind of bill will that be?

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Will the flakes stick to a magnet ?

·
Asylum Inmate
11,737 Posts
3500 to 4200 depending on shop.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll stick a magnet in it when I get home this afternoon. Good god upwards of 3500. A bit higher than what I was expecting.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Might be slightly less because the top end has been redone already. Of course some of the top end will need to be redone. All depends on what is actually wrong or damaged in your engine, if that metal is steel or aluminum.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Some folks would change the engine oil with 90wt to quiet things
down, clean her up real good, and trade her in!

good luck!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Could be a number of things.
Dark oil, yes, after say, the first 100 miles on a fresh powerplant, magnetic particulate in the oil, no.
Scott

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am pretty much set on keeping this bike even though it has been an enormous thorn in my side I do have quite a bit invested in it and if the top end can be saved Id like that. Has anyone here had any experience with Vee Twin racing? The price is right and it can't be too much in shipping from Louisiana to FL.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Are you planning to ship the whole bike or just the engine ?
A H-D dealer would give you trade in towards a newer bike because they can rebuild the engine for less than half of what it's going to cost you.
I'm just throwing suggestions your way because what it sounds like you're planning to do is going to dig deep into your wallet.
I'm not knocking Sportsters but if you'd be talking about a Road King or Super Glide then you'd be ahead. The Sporty is going to set ya back. Just saying ...
Plus the engine rebuild won't take all those miles off the rest of your bike.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
One more thing to think about, you could be without your bike for a better part of the summer. The rebuild would be better done as a winter project.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Ya know, after rereading through this thread you're getting ahead of the game.
The proper way is to first diagnose the symptom. Hearing noise and finding metal in the oil isn't a scientific diagnosis.
I would contact Blackstone Laboratories (blackstone-labs.com), 260-427-7316 and have them send you an oil sample kit. The kit is free ! Take an oil sample and send it to them for analysis, they will send you a report with exactly what the metal you found came from. The report contains a complete oil analysis. It only costs $25.00 and could save you a ton of money.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They could steer me towards what has all went cannibalistic inside the engine?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts