Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front exhaust valve started knocking. Crack the throttle, valve cladders Back to Idle. At temperature hear a knock. No valve cladder. Replaced both front lifters. Valve/cladder still there. 2018 ultra.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
John welcome
But introduce yourself an tell us something about yourself.
You’ll get more replies .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Just Ride
3,318 Posts
More information,mods done. What fuel you using,tried octane boost?

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Rocker shaft tolerance. Look up "rocker lockers" for explanation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Front exhaust valve started knocking. Crack the throttle, valve cladders Back to Idle. At temperature hear a knock. No valve cladder. Replaced both front lifters. Valve/cladder still there. 2018 ultra.
Just a thought. Had similar clatter noise on my 2012 Ultra Classic. Mine turned out to be the compensator sprocket. Changed it out for a screaming eagle and it is just fine and has been for 70K miles. It's inherent in HD's that noises originate in one place but you hear it somewhere else and it sounds like something else.
One indication if it's the compensator is when you shut it off with the engine hot. If there is a clunk noise at the moment the engine stops turning (kickback) it's a good bet. You can also remove the primary cover, start it up and check to see if the noise is different from what you are hearing on the right side right now. It will also let you adjust the primary auto tensioner one click up. You may find it was about to do it "automatically" anyway. See if that stops the noise. Cheaper than getting into the valve train. And that has a whole load of "aw-sh_ts" waiting for you once you re-assemble the valve train and it's components.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts