Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2015 Fatboy. I made the huge mistake of running the bike too long without moving. When I heard the first knock, I ran outside and noticed the knock in the engine and white smoke coming from the engine. I turned the bike off immediately. I am not a bike mechanic but I do know my way around an engine. What was the knocking? Does the engine need to be rebuilt? Did it just overheat? There are no visible leaks but I am still worried. As I type this, the bike has been cooling down for an hour. I have not had the guts to turn the bike back on. Once I do, I will record the sound for more advice. Any suggestions/comments?

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
My guess is it over heated.
Smell your oil on the dip stick
If smells burned change it and the filter .
1, more thing check both spark plugs while yr at it.
It should be ok. Never let your bike sit at idle ever.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Retired citizen
22,887 Posts
That engine knocking could very well have been detonation stemming from a lean AFR. Fuel evaporating in the intake (overheated engine) before making it into the cylinders causing a lean condition.
I would start the engine and see how it sounds.

·
Retired citizen
22,887 Posts
Also check to see if there's any stored codes. The procedure is a DTC sticky in the electrical section.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That engine knocking could very well have been detonation stemming from a lean AFR. Fuel evaporating in the intake (overheated engine) before making it into the cylinders causing a lean condition.
I would start the engine and see how it sounds.
I will do that and listen. Thank you.

·
Registered
21,795 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Connecticut.
You've come to the right place to find the answer to your questions.
There is a lot of great information about motorcycles to be found , and other shit.....feel free to explore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you to all. The bike is ok...no more knocking, no more nasty smell, no more white smoke. I will have to replace the motor oil and filter, get a new spark plug just to clean up the bike a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts