Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Some of them.

It's a good thing that they have really good customer service. I've had to use it a couple of times when I had a problem and they always make it right. But then, I did have the problem in the first place.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I bought a pair of their mirrors. Very good quality but you pay for it ( like everything else)

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Lil I wanted to add that some like the look of Kuryakn parts and some do not but there quality is never in question. The part you are interested in looks great to me. I dont think it matters much where you buy it. Like Dinero No Mas said some of the more common parts might be cheaper elsewhere (Mirrors, pegs and grips) Parts like that are about the same anywhere.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that.
I was asking because I'd seen a few posts that were pretty hard hits to Kuryakn next door. The part here is $19.99 if you buy it full price, so the risk is not real high. But, then again, who wants to just throw away another round of beer?

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Nothing but trouble from Kuryakin.

I have had several things from Kuryakin on my bike over the years.
I will never buy another thing from them.
Everything I have had has had problems with the chrome peeling. :eek:
The last was a set of 3 or 4 hundred dollar running boards that lasted less than 6 months prior to the chrome starting to peel.

Ride Free,
Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
I bought their forward controls for my Dyna. No complaints.

·
ther·a·peu·tic
349 Posts
I've bought some highway pegs from them. Pretty good quality. I did receive a rusty and pitted pair from them initially but they replaced them without question

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
I dunno... The ex worked with that stuff for a living and wasn't impressed... apparently there were fitment/quality issues, and some of the 'performance' stuff just didn't DO anything.

Personally, the only 'dress-up' stuff I've ever put on my bikes was from the HD catalog (and as you can see, there is precious little of that!) so take it for what it's worth.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,208 Posts
The worst aftermarket parts horror story I've heard was on Brand K parts, and you'd think it'd make some product liability lawyer wake up in a cold sweat.

More than one of the guys on the V-Rod forum used their chrome handlevers, brake and clutch, and had the front wheel actually lock up. One guy went down on the highway at speed when his front wheel locked up hard.

Apparently the levers didn't fit quite right, but close enough to use them. Problem apparently is the V-Rod's master cylinder has a pinhole in the hydraulic cylinder that allows the hydraulic pressure to come back off the wheel cylinder. The slight misfit of the aftermarket levers didn't allow them to return all the way to the original fully retracted state, and this slightly depressed condition on the master cylinder piston covered that pressure return hole, so you could put pressure on the brake, but it would never fully release. The bike had enough power to ride with the front brake partly under load, until the fluid boiled and the steam dramatically increased the pressure and locked up the front wheel. The two guys who were discussing it deflected a lot of "no way" comments by stating it was an easily and predictable repeatable phenomenon, although they suggested using a dyno instead of a test drive if somebody wanted really to see it happen.

Worst aftermarket part negative consequence story I ever heard.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While what I'm looking into would not cause that sort of problem simply dealing with a company that could produce such a product as you describe makes me concerned.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,208 Posts
Remember the V-Rod hasn't been around as long as the other Harleys.
The problem may have been not so much Brand K parts lacking in quality,
as assuming the same part fits multiple bikes.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I hear you, but I've got these lingering thoughts of concerns expressed by people over time that I'm gun shy.
I guess I'll scratch my earlier statement that their quality is never in question. My mirrors kicked some serious but though.

·
Faster is Better
21 Posts
Generally I'm not a big fan of covers and such, but is it just me, or do alot of the HD bolt on chrome accessories, (particularly in the Multi-fit section of the dealerships stores), look an awful lot like Kuryakyn parts? When you look at the label in the store, most of the HD accessories are made overseas, Taiwan, Korea, China, PROC, etc.... Wonder if the MoCo and Kuryakyn are supplied by the same overseas manufacturer?

Other than some of the Kury accessories being a pain to install, and the supplied instructions and hardware aren't always the best, I've never had a problem with their chrome and/or quality and workmanship. Have experienced some minor fitment issues with both HD and Kury parts that required some adjustment prior to install.

Often times I / my customers compare prices of the HD accessory to Kuryakyn's, take a good look at the part and pay less to Kuryakyn for what I believe is the same part in different packaging. Quality and workmanship, at least in my experience, is about equal on the parts I've installed.

Just my .02.

V1

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Generally I'm not a big fan of covers and such, but is it just me, or do alot of the HD bolt on chrome accessories, (particularly in the Multi-fit section of the dealerships stores), look an awful lot like Kuryakyn parts? When you look at the label in the store, most of the HD accessories are made overseas, Taiwan, Korea, China, PROC, etc.... Wonder if the MoCo and Kuryakyn are supplied by the same overseas manufacturer?

Other than some of the Kury accessories being a pain to install, and the supplied instructions and hardware aren't always the best, I've never had a problem with their chrome and/or quality and workmanship. Have experienced some minor fitment issues with both HD and Kury parts that required some adjustment prior to install.

Often times I / my customers compare prices of the HD accessory to Kuryakyn's, take a good look at the part and pay less to Kuryakyn for what I believe is the same part in different packaging. Quality and workmanship, at least in my experience, is about equal on the parts I've installed.

Just my .02.

V1
The short answer is YES!

Many are the exact same parts and many are supplied by the same original manufacturer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts