Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I had to install forward controls on my 2014 Superlow 1200T due to the OEM mid foot controls hitting the V&H Big Radius exhaust. However I wasn't too comfortable with the forwards for two reasons: 1. The pegs were too low and my right knee was hitting the air filter cover 2. For some reason my legs were getting fatigued on long rides. I decided to order the Kuryakyn Mini Footboards, but before I installed them I also needed to order the Drag Specialties Offset Clevis Adapters to replace the OEM left and right clevis. You'll see in the first photo that the ones that came with the forwards are offset (top is longer than the bottom). Well I did the install this morn and took a test ride. I'm happy to say I'm very pleased with these new mini footboards. My feet are able to lay flat with enough surface to position them in different spots while riding, therefor eliminating the fatigued feeling I was getting, also the new footboards come straight out from the clevis not angled down like the OEM pegs were (picture 2). This raises my legs so now my right knee is just above the air filter cover and not hitting it. Just thought this info might help anyone interested in maybe switching out the pegs on their late model Sportster with forward controls. Remember you will need the new clevis because the OEM clevis only accepts the OEM pegs.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know what a clivis is but I installed the mini floorboards without buying anything but a tool to remove the clip that holds the peg on. That was the hardest part since the hole in the clip was too small & I had a hard time finding that small a tool.
I did have to take the gear shift lever off & raise it a bit to be able to get my foot under it easily. It also causes the brake lever to be a bit too low. My bike is an 2015 883L
It sure makes it more comfortable.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what a clivis is but I installed the mini floorboards without buying anything but a tool to remove the clip that holds the peg on. That was the hardest part since the hole in the clip was too small & I had a hard time finding that small a tool.
I did have to take the gear shift lever off & raise it a bit to be able to get my foot under it easily. It also causes the brake lever to be a bit too low. My bike is an 2015 883L
It sure makes it more comfortable.
I find them more comfortable too. Only late model Sportsters with forward controls have the offset clevis. I believe you have mid controls

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what was the reason for putting the offset clevis on in the first place? seems like the regular ones worked just fine.
I have no clue. The only thing I could see is that the offset clevis lowered the pegs a little and maybe H-D thought that was a more comfortable position to have the pegs. Personally I thought it was an uncomfortable position. Btw... that is the only complaint I have about the bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts