Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with only 1050 miles on it, I was turning into a parking spot. I wasn't paying much attention (like an idiot) because I was attempting to put the bike in neutral, at the same time making the hairpin turn. When I put the brake on while in the turn, the bike slowed down enough to fall over. That was the stupidest thing I've ever done. I have a bad elbow and did this in the parking lot of a hospital I was going to, to get my elbow looked at (and eventually lanced.) Surprisingly, the only scratches that were showing was very minor, and at the very edge of the lower fairing that mounts to the highway bars (comes stock on the Ultra Classic Electra Glide). The scratches are so minor, and because they're on the edge, you really can't tell. I guess I'm thankful for that, that my bike is completely fine. I know what I did wrong, clearly, and I learned from that stupid mistake. Anyhow, my elbow's fine now too, although I may need surgery on it.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Glad your okay, sounds like the most injury was to your pride.. been there done that. I'm curious too, what are ya messin with neutral for?

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
Been there done that. Glad it is all ok. Stay off that front brake at slow speeds and maneuvers.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
At least you didn't do major damage to you or the bike. Always remember in those tight slow turns..friction zone and a little rear brake if you need it. :)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Glad you are OK. We use the front break all the time at normal speeds that is it hard to remember not to at slow speeds and tight maneuvering.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
Embarassing but it happens.
True that...what I let my sporty fall while practicing in an empty parking lot it was a major adrenalin rush and I was pissed.

Last week when I forgot to put down the kickstand on my Dyna in my driveway and it started to list to the left as I got off I calmly pushed against my GF's car with my left hand whilst pulling up on the left grip with my right. The bike never went all the way down and didn't touch anything. Best of all...no adrenalin rush and I laughed it off.:silly

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good that all is ok...Did you need help getting bike back up?
I always put the bike in neutral when I'm done riding and shutting off the bike. I don't know why - been an 11 year habit. I was just putting it in neutral a bit early.

Someone else saw it happen (who was also riding), came by and helped me pick up this beast. It was embarrassing nonetheless :eek:uttahere:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I always put the bike in neutral when I'm done riding and shutting off the bike. I don't know why - been an 11 year habit. I was just putting it in neutral a bit early.

Someone else saw it happen (who was also riding), came by and helped me pick up this beast. It was embarrassing nonetheless :eek:uttahere:
it's up to you but ...i never look for neutral unless i'm completely stopped, too many times i've saved a bike [and a red face] with a bit o clutch. I also never sit at a red light in neutral, just in case i see something i dont like in my mirror. I used to race a dirt bike [when my wiskers were not so gray] mostly cross country and enduro and i'm here to tell you ,at slow speeds, crossing slippery logs ,rocks and roots, without clutch control yer screwed

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't think I ever use neutral unless I'm backing out of a parking space. Pulling into a space, it's 1st gear,clutch and back brake. The last time I dropped mine, my wife was getting off the back and I wasn't ready. Went down REALLY slowly. It is embarrassing as hell, but it happens. No damage, no foul.

·
red sport.
378 Posts
laid the bike down

my 2cents, down shift as you are slowing so as when you are stopped it's in 1st. alway park in gear. watch out using front brake in a turn, i learned the hard way. i sart it in neutral.. most of the time.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Yeh, the only stupid mistakes are those we do not learn from.... fyi. I never put mine in N until i am starting her. And its either sitting flat and i start it to warm up while im getting gear on or im on the bike holding brake. I dont pop in N at redlights, or park, never know when you need to pull out fast, and never trust a bike in N parked, ive seen the wind blow and they roll forward and off kickatand or even a slight down hill that you dont notice til you come out and bikes on ground.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Been there done that. Glad it is all ok. Stay off that front brake at slow speeds and maneuvers.
Exactly, grabbing that front brake at low speed is like activating a ground magnet.

Good to hear you are fine and bike has only minor nicks.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
The EGs are bad for pitching over when you try to stop with the handlebars turned. It seems worse to the right than the left...or maybe thats just me. Thank goodness they have all those bars and add ons, they only drop over about 45*.

Were you able to get the bike back up on your own?

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
Yeh, the only stupid mistakes are those we do not learn from.... fyi. I never put mine in N until i am starting her. And its either sitting flat and i start it to warm up while im getting gear on or im on the bike holding brake. I dont pop in N at redlights, or park, never know when you need to pull out fast, and never trust a bike in N parked, ive seen the wind blow and they roll forward and off kickatand or even a slight down hill that you dont notice til you come out and bikes on ground.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Locking kickstands took care of the rolling off the kickstand thing.

I always park in N. Don't know why, I just do.

Amen on the red light advice.

·
Earth-bound Misfit
607 Posts
I too am glad you are ok and that there is only minor damage to your bike.

For what its worth, I did almost the exact same thing the first day I owned my Street Glide. (That had never happened to me before in 35+ years of riding. Of course, I've never owned any motorcycle nearly as heavy as this big tourer. As the salesman told me, "once she leaves the vertical, things start to happen very quickly.") I've also talked to a LOT of owners that have dumped their bikes in parking lots, etc. We are not alone, by any stretch!

Since that inglorious moment, I've had to re-learn everything I thought I knew about slow speed riding. Very humbling experience. I got this book and video from Ride Like a Pro...

https://www.ridelikeapro.com/index.php

It has been extremely helpful to me in learning what to do/not to do.

Ride safe.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts