Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1000 mile service is less than 80 miles away. I wish I had the money to let someone do it so I can get back on and ride. Things got a little funky over the past 2 months and I expect things to get better but I got to stretch some things for now.

The problem is...I am a freak, meaning I tend to over-think things. I don't skimp when it comes to maintenance of my vehicles. I take my truck to the dealer and have it maintained at the proper intervals. I get a deal $12 oil changes for the life of the vehicle but also, they never accuse me of doing something to void the warranty.

When it comes to my Street Bob, same thing applies--no skimping on maintenance and no voiding of warranty. I've been looking at the threads on this forum, going to HD dealerships, other than the one I got my bike from, small motorcycle shops and I am hearing all kinds of stuff. Not to call out anyone, but the parts guy in the last HD shop I went to on two separate occasions, told me the first time, HD had to do the work or it would void the warranty. He was corrected by the service guy. On the 2nd visit, he told me the moco manual would cost near $100 and would take several weeks to come in. Is this not the same manual that came with my new HD? Or is it not the same manual that I can download from HD's site by logging in?

I've watched YouTube videos about changing the fluids, even watched videos about making a wooden stand. Wondered if I could use my hydraulic car jack with a piece of wood underneath.

Like I said, I tend to over-think things. This time is no different. I am going to the dealer today to get pricing on synthetic fluid for the oil, tranny and primary change as well as oil filter and O-rings. Whether dealer service or self service, the bike does not get ridden past the 1000 mile mark with the service.

Someone said in another thread, that HDs are toys, and you don't have to ride. I got my SB as a 2nd vehicle, not a toy. It saves the incredible mileage I am putting on my truck. I ride it back and forth to work.

I'll stop now. I'm getting depressed. I'll sit on it in the darkness and cry. This is a rant, lament, whatever, by a guy that is new to riding and does not have any old-timers to buy the beer for/rounds at the bar so they can dispense their wisdom. Even better, I wish there was someone that could walk me through doing it myself. I'm done.

·
Try'n to behave
6,280 Posts
I sent you a PM with my number. I have a bike jack, and I'm quite sure it wouldn't take more than an hour to do the chit. :what?

·
Try'n to behave
6,280 Posts
But YOUR buying all the fluids. ;)

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,788 Posts
I sent you a PM with my number. I have a bike jack, and I'm quite sure it wouldn't take more than an hour to do the chit. :what?
Good deal right there,

If someone has done a little wrenchin on stuff shouldn't be to bad other wise good to have some friend(s) that have.

Neighbor guy that hadn't a clue about motorcycle or turnin wrenches decided to change oil on newer import bike he had he stripped out a few threads. so you never know

·
Señor Member
19,803 Posts
Vincent, you can do this. It will NOT void the warrantee. The owners manual will probably be enough for changing fluids, but the service manual is what you want long yet and it does NOT cost $100. Even at the dealer it should be $60. As for a discount and they'll probably throw you 10% off.

·
Señor Member
19,803 Posts

Pred8er is a stand up dude.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pred8er is a stand up dude.
Yes his is! And so are you Chief. Thanks to both of you. I went to the HD dealer I bought my bike from and the parts guy was more than happy to talk to me about what would be needed. He even made me a list of things that I would need, including the MoCo manual, which was in stock. And no, it was not $100.00 like that other place. They did not even have to order it. I did not get the stuff but will very soon.

I also went by the service dept just to see how much they would charge. The lady strongly urged me not to do it myself. I told her I would think about it.

I am leaning toward doing it myself (with the mentor-ance of Pred8er of course). Pred8er, I'll pm you when I get ready to get the stuff.

I feel a whole lot better! This will soon be me again:

:bikerguy:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By that, he means oil AND beer to stock the fridge. :D
Kainam, I have no problem with either one. To the max! Hopefully he doesn't have a walk-in fridge. :)

·
Señor Member
19,803 Posts
Yes his is! And so are you Chief. Thanks to both of you. I went to the HD dealer I bought my bike from and the parts guy was more than happy to talk to me about what would be needed. He even made me a list of things that I would need, including the MoCo manual, which was in stock. And no, it was not $100.00 like that other place. They did not even have to order it. I did not get the stuff but will very soon.

I also went by the service dept just to see how much they would charge. The lady strongly urged me not to do it myself. I told her I would think about it.

I am leaning toward doing it myself (with the mentor-ance of Pred8er of course). Pred8er, I'll pm you when I get ready to get the stuff.

PM me if you need any help. Anytime.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've gone both ways over the years and with all the bikes I've
owned. I've had the dealer do the initial service on newer machines
so that it was on record as having been serviced, and to make sure
the electrical and electronic systems were functioning correctly.

The first service is typically not much more than an oil change and a
check for error codes. It's also a once-going-over of the nuts and
bolts making sure they're still tight.

Dealers do want you to bring your bike in for service, so they can
make more profit from you. But realistically, it's just a motorcycle,
not the Space Shuttle...

I do all my own service after the initial service is done by the
dealer. I will also check for loose nuts and bolts, leaks, noises,
tires, suspension, etc. on a regular basis and before any long rides.
I don't wait for the recommended schedule, it gives me a peace of
mind when out on the road.

Like others have said, get the service manual and follow the
recommended schedule of what needs to be done, and you should
be good to go.

Good Luck!

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
I have always brought my bikes to the dealer for the 1000 mile service. For mostly the reasons mentioned by duckman above.
This time while they were doing the 1000 mile service on my 2015 Heritage, they blew the oil pump. It sent pieces through out the engine. I am sure it was already bad, but it happened on their time. It destroyed the entire engine. They replaced the engine on their nickel.
After the first service, I have done it myself.

·
Retired citizen
24,290 Posts
FYI, the 1k service is the first time a certified mechanic actually checks everything on the bike and logs the service check list, a copy of which is supposed to go to the customer.
When the bike gets delivered as new it could have been uncrated and setup by just about anyone working at the dealership, that could be a detailer, salesperson or delivery person.
Prior to delivery the bike would go to a service tech. to do the "birth certificate", quick check over and test ride but that's usually all.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It is not required for you to get any servicing done at the dealer. It's simply required that it get done. This is the law, and if anyone (dealer or otherwise) tells you any different they're either misinformed or flat out lying. You do need to save any receipts for the work you either did yourself or had an indy shop do for you. As with anything these days, you need a paper trail.

My service guru also told me that it's great if you get the bike in right at 1000 miles, but so long as you get it in around that time frame the actual mileage isn't really critical. He said so long as it's less than 1300 miles everything should be fine. So I wouldn't worry too much about making sure that you don't hit 1002 miles before you have the service done.

I talked to the service guru at my dealership, he told me it would be about $350 with synthetic fluids or "a little less" with conventional.

If you look in your owner's manual, it gives a fairly complete list of what needs to be checked, changed, or adjusted at the 1K service.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm going to have it done, or if I'm going to do it myself. I think that most will depend upon how much time I have when I get to that point... I'm at ~600 miles right now.

Good luck

Exco

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Vince,
I am by no means a mechanic, nor do I profess to be. However, I go to Wally World and buy 5 qts. of Mobile I, V twin, full synthetic oil for about $9. a quart. (no oil thread now please). I change all the fluids myself, following the procedure described in the shop manual. It's really a piece of cake, and I save a boatload of dough. You can do this too.

·
Registered
419 Posts
On a side note:
I just noticed your location in Chehalis, WA. I had/have family up
there years ago and we would have an annual reunion till the old
folks passed, that was about 20 years ago. I haven't been up there
in a good 15 or more years. The family was/is in the Adna area
actually. Long time family from those parts.

I should ride up there this summer for old times sake...

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
On a side note:
I just noticed your location in Chehalis, WA. I had/have family up
there years ago and we would have an annual reunion till the old
folks passed, that was about 20 years ago. I haven't been up there
in a good 15 or more years. The family was/is in the Adna area
actually. Long time family from those parts.

I should ride up there this summer for old times sake...
And, get a chance to go around The Desolation of Smaug (Mt. Saint Helens). See how much it has changed since 1981.

·
Registered
419 Posts
And, get a chance to go around The
Desolation of Smaug (Mt. Saint Helens). See how much it has changed since 1981.
Yea! The last time I was up on that hill or what was left of it, was
a couple years after the eruption. That would have been in the mid
80's. It was like moon scape up at the top, simply amazing how
much damage was done.

Reminds me that the best part was stopping at a logger's hangout
for breakfast, they had "the lumberjack breakfast" which consisted
of huge pancakes, bacon and lots of it on one plate, then three
eggs, hash browns, toast, and gravy on a second plate, and fruit on
a third. I think we spent an hour just eating breakfast! And man
that was some good eating up in that fresh mountain air.

·
Registered
82 Posts

how much did the dealer quote you for the service? I am at my first 850 miles so same boat as you at the moment

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Hey Duck,
Adna is about 4 miles from my place. If you make it back up to these parts, give me a heads up. Mt. St. Helens is about 30 miles from my place as the crow flies, a little longer by motorcycle. I cruise up there about once a year-a beauty of a ride.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts