Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do it every day when I ride to work. I keep within 5-10 mph of the speed at which traffic is moving. I don't think I'd ride during commute times if it were illegal. Curious what the general consensus is around here.

Btw, the only thing I don't agree with in the article below is how angry cagers get. In the ~3 years I've been riding in Cali, I've never seen anyone in a cage get mad when I ride by them. In fact, about 1 in 5 cars moves farther over to give more space; a very nice gesture I think. I always give the "thanks" wave when they do.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I hate sitting at lights behind a pack of cars.. Such a chance to get blasted from behind.

I simple get as close to one side as I can and prepare an escape route so that I can quickly split the row of cars to avoid got no hit from behind. It would be so much better to just go right to the front of the row and safer.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Illegal in Texas and, yup, somebody in a pickup would get pissed and open his door in your face.

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
NOPE, not for me. I saw a biker get wiped out when he decided to use the break down lane in a traffic jam on the slab. A cager decided to do the same at the wrong time for the biker.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Illegal here and would be extremely dangerous. I think it works in Cali only because it has been legal there for quite some time and motorists are educated to it and accustomed to it, therefore they accept it. I wouldn't mind seeing it legalized here, but only when traffic is stopped. I don't think I would ever risk it in moving traffic. I could not put that much faith in drivers to do the proper thing at all times. Passing anything on the right is risky, and lane splitting is basically a long series of right side passing.

Please be very careful, Bob.

--

·
Registered
322 Posts
NOPE, not for me. I saw a biker get wiped out when he decided to use the break down lane in a traffic jam on the slab. A cager decided to do the same at the wrong time for the biker.
+1 not for me either. Just to many idiots out there that do something that wouldn't be good for the biker.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My son lives in San Diego & loves this lane splitting thing. He says that driver's there are use to it, (because it's been in effect for so long,) & do move over for him.

·
Registered
12,005 Posts
I would never try it in any big city out here. Not comfortable in town either. Too many illegal drivers along with hit and runs in past year. Have done in stopped or slow moving traffic on freeway in this area. I just putt along slowly moving between cars. Hesitate around big rigs, there visibility is limited when your tight along side them. Quite a few drivers will move over give you that extra space. My experience, rumbling pipes helps make them aware your coming. Can see them checking mirrors as you get close. Two up with the GF, she stays calm. That's my rev limiter. Ride Safe

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Illegal everywhere I've lived, so I have never done it. I think I would be worried about a disgruntled driver doing something.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
I think even in Cali it's only legal at certain speeds and when traffic is moving at a slow speed. And you're not supposed to be moving at more than ?? MPH than the cars you are passing. But I'm certainly not an expert on it. I'm not going to look it up right now but I read it a few years ago when I was looking into which states you can ride side by side in and which you can't.
It's illegal here in AZ and I don't think i would do it even if it was legal. As much as I like the thought of going to the front at a stop light, the thought of wondering if the cages were going to back off and let me go across first would bother me.

What I would like to see legalized is bikes using the shoulder on the freeways when the traffic is stopped and it's 100 degrees out. (I do it now, but would like it to be legal)

I will pull up between cars now at a red light as a "just in case" precaution. But when they pull away I get back in line where i was. I've even done that in front of LEO and they don't do/say anything.

When thinking about lane splitting I try to picture a group of bikes going to the front at a light. So now you have three or four bikes lined up between three cars deep. If everyone takes off together that could get hairy. Are the cars required to wait till the bikes take off first? Can you trust them to?

·
Registered
12,005 Posts

What I would like to see legalized is bikes using the shoulder on the freeways when the traffic is stopped and it's 100 degrees out. (I do it now, but would like it to be legal)
A$$ butts in cages already do it out here till CHP pops them at first freeway exit. Karma :thumbsup

·
Registered
710 Posts
Not legal here but do it anyway,I hate cagers in the left lane that won't let you by.They insist on going the speed limit/same as right lane,not slowing down or speeding up Its BS so YEP I split the lane and don't feel bad about it.Traffic stopped at a light and you pull between traffic up to the light will for sure get you a ticket.People here see it as cutting in line but they do wave ha ha ha screw em.

·
Wayward Son
23,320 Posts
I have done it. But has been many years and not done it since.
But I guess situations would dictate if I ever would do it again.
As stated, I leave room in front of me and have an exit line planned should a threat appear from behind.

On one trip to the Wall the Club got hung up in a traffic jam due to a fender bender in PA. The Troopers on the scene saw us and actually allowed us and our support vehicle to run the breakdown lane to get past it.
Not sure if it was because the Club was the VNV MC, he rode, he knew Harleys, heat and just setting did not always mix well.
I was riding Tail Gunner. A car tried to jump in behind me. He cut them off. A glance in my rear view mirror told me that driver was really getting reamed.

·
Former Lurker
2,931 Posts
I have done it a few time in big traffic jams, mainly so I wouldn't over heat.
And yes it sure seemed to piss off some of the cagers still stuck.
Like Mvious said, my real pet peeve is folks riding slow in the left lane. Ticks me off to no end.
GTF out of the way!!
Same with commercial trucks that pull out and take the left lane because they are going 1/2 a MPH faster than the 4 trucks ahead of them and it takes 10 minutes for them to pass... Especially with hills involved so they slow to 40...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Back in the '70s, I'd get off my bike, turn off the motor and push it down the sidewalk when stuck in traffic at the Hampton Roads Tunnel. That was my old CB500 and in the summer it got pretty hot in traffic. Folks were decent enough to let me back in near the tunnel entrance.

I would never have tried, or thought of trying, to lane-split in VA back then. I'm not interested today, either. Of course, I rarely see any traffic jams in Spokane like I used to in Seattle, so there is no need.

I think you'd have to have a death wish to lane split in Seattle. 30-40 years ago? Maybe. Today? Absolutely not.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,481 Posts
Down here on the South Coast, besides being illegal, it'd be suicidal. These crazy maniacs would go out of their way to cut you off. Never got the opportunity (nor need) to do it on the times I was in Cali.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I think everyone should do whatever they want. If there is additional risk to a behavior, that risk is assumed by the person who makes the choice. All good.

Everyone can adjust their behavior to assume the amount of risk that suits the individual.

The slightly elevated risk is worth the cumulative hours saved, IMO.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
I think everyone should do whatever they want. If there is additional risk to a behavior, that risk is assumed by the person who makes the choice. All good.

Everyone can adjust their behavior to assume the amount of risk that suits the individual.

The slightly elevated risk is worth the cumulative hours saved, IMO.
I like this. I agree.

I would say that I probably wouldn't do it. Especially on a wide [email protected]@ Harley, but I also do not want the government telling you that you can't.

I was in San Francisco, in a rental minivan, and a lane splitting power ranger took off my driver's side mirror and just kept riding.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts