Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of different opinions on this subject. As Sfarson stated in another thread it is legal in California. The law there designed to prevent the overheating of air cooled engines. Where I live there is plenty of traffic. When I leave Long Island I travel through Brooklyn and the Bronx (My birthplace) and you can make some time lane splitting. I don't do it though, In my opinion your just asking for it.

What about you?

·
Steve
262 Posts
I live in California and do split lanes when traffic is going very slow. I am very cautious though and probably never exceed 20 MPH.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
I'm the same as slammedv, if the traffic is at a stand still (which doesn't happen often here) I'll make my way through everyone, but I don't go very fast at all.

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Not allowed in PA. If it were, I'd still decline due to the morons that are allowed to pilot cars, in my state.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Have noticed this in CO... If you try to take advantage of your motorcycle's dimensions in CO and circumvent blocked traffic, there many drivers with the attitude... "If I'm going nowhere, you aren't either."

About five years ago there was a forest fire near my place. While I was out and about on the bike the fire changed directions and the highway to my home was closed at a stop light. From the address on my license I would be permitted to go past the blocked traffic and stoplight, and go home in case I needed to evacuate and gather personal items. The traffic was blocked solid, two lanes, but there was a dirt shoulder just right for a bike but too small for a car. As I headed up this dirt shoulder to get to the traffic stop/block and show my license so I could continue and get home, I had all kinds of vehicles pulling over to the right onto the shoulder trying block me or run me into the weeds! They did not like it one bit!

BTW, it is weird riding down a closed highway, heading towards an inferno.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
WOW how surreal!

Lane-splitting in IL is illegal... and I think that most drivers here have the same attitude (if I can't go neither can you). We have a problem with folks in cars blasting up the shoulders of the interstate during rush hour... one of these days there will be a catastrophe.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Given that in those days it was not illegal, when I was a kid I used to lane split at 85 mph and think nothing of it. God knows why I survived.

Now, I wouldn't consider it at all. I just wait.

As for cagers who open doors on riders - they are fukcing murderous bastards who really seriously need to be cut down in the prime of their lives.

The best case ever for a forward mounted .50cal.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,213 Posts
best case ever for a forward mounted .50cal
WAY too much penetration, it'd go thru the next 5 cars in front.

12 gauge Dragon's Breath rounds would do the trick nicely,
ESPECIALLY for someone who opened their door,
but generally you'd want to be going real slow,
you wouldn't want to overtake the blast.

Prolly better for tailgaters.

Oh yeah, be sure to remember to close your eyes for a bow shot!

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nathan, I knew we could count on you for the proper tool for the job!

AS Hanz, sfarson, KB and pete noticed, even if you can do it, because of these nippleheads it's just not worth it. IMHO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts