Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question, is there an oversize front belt sprocket available for a 2005 1200 Custom with a couple more teeth? I can't seem to find anything.
I need a relaxed RPM at cruising speeds more than acceleration.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Keep in mind, raising the final drive ratio, will drop the rpm, across the board. Unless all you do is highway driving, with little or no other riding, you may find you've created a monster. The Sportster engine is designed to "rev" compared to larger Harley Davidson engines. The 1200 already is geared higher than a 883 to allow for use of the higher horsepower. Gonna make starting out in first a little chore.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep in mind, raising the final drive ratio, will drop the rpm, across the board. Unless all you do is highway driving, with little or no other riding, you may find you've created a monster. The Sportster engine is designed to "rev" compared to larger Harley Davidson engines. The 1200 already is geared higher than a 883 to allow for use of the higher horsepower. Gonna make starting out in first a little chore.
Yep, I have thought about that but it just seems that I have a lot more "get up and go" than I need. I'm thinking that the 1 tooth on the drive sprocket would be equivalent to about 2 on the rear sprocket. I can't imagine that it could cause a strain in 1st gear. But, that's why I asked. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Not on first gear, but it does require a lot of attention to keep from possibly "lugging" the engine. As to get up and go, that's why some people buy the 1200!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not on first gear, but it does require a lot of attention to keep from possibly "lugging" the engine. As to get up and go, that's why some people buy the 1200!
I was hoping someone who has actually done that would give me their first hand experience. Having said that, I think I can agree with your opinion. Besides, there's not much long distance riding done on my Sporty anyway. Thanks again.

PS
I've had 40 motorcycles in my life, but this 2005 1200 Custom is a totally different, and very pleasant, experience. You've just got to love these suckers.

·
Registered
685 Posts
i went up to a 23 tooth front on the 77 xlh it kinda lugs off from the stop lights im thinking yours would a bit too but on top end she should fly . pondern going up on the front sprocket on my 06 883 .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts