Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mountain Rider
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at my latest Mtn. Ride Video where me and a few members of our Local HOG Chapter ride to the Tail of the Dragon and also into Georgia Mtns. Let me know what you guys think.

:biker:

·
red sport.
382 Posts
Wow, I like. you did a great job. I'm into videoing rides But, I'm just using cheap 1080 car dash cams mine is not real clear like yours so, how many cameras did you use & what kind? Thanks in advance.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Love it! Was the video speeded up or were you just hauling ass through the twisties?

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
The graphics on the opening were PHANTASTIC.

The editing on the actual trip was pro-quality. The image that the camera produced was excellent and I'm thinking it had image stabilization because the end product was ideal.

What were the specifics?

·
luv the low country
19,944 Posts
Very nice vid. Going to plan a trip up there for next summer.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,839 Posts
Snus, enjoyed the ride. Been on most of those roads a few times, and it almost felt like being there. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Where did you get the opening graphics? They set a good tone initially, sparking interest right off the bat. Very professional looking! Did you catch any flack when trying to get your fellow riders to help you out with shots?...lol. Been there.
I crossed the country with four or five people a few times with a drift camera and a mounting means that was quick detach allowing different angles and such. I realize that the options are limited when filming and too much of a certain angle or a certain subject can cause a video to drag. The Drift camera is a much easier unit to handle than a GoPro in that it can actually be "palmed" and allow you to shoot things inconspicuously. Makes for less stiffness in your subjects and you get better shots. You can be filming and no one even knows. These days it's all about quick shots and flow. It's difficult to keep an extended ride interesting in a video where your camera angles are limited. I've always wished moving overhead shots were available at times somehow. Hiring a helicopter just seems a bit expensive, you think? Check out my efforts and let's compare notes.

http://youtu.be/S4pG7ATQ5I8

It's a bit lengthy but it was Virginia to Wyoming. Take notice of all the handheld shots. I tried to break up a lot of the riding scenes with shots that develop personality or captures the experience of the ride outside of just riding. What my video lacked is what yours has...awesome graphics. I used the basic package that comes with MSN.
As well, how did you go about picking out the music? I thought that was one of the hardest parts. I really wanted to have the music picked out BEFORE the ride allowing me to tailor shots for the tunes. Never happened.
Give me your thought process, would be interested in how you went about creating this!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Very impressive! I see you went to You Tube from Vimeo for this one. Is it easier or quicker to load to You Tube or is it because so many more people may see it?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Both of those video are awesome. HDNVN, you drove within a few miles of my house on your way back.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Nice!!! I want to get out there one day

·
Mountain Rider
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, I like. you did a great job. I'm into videoing rides But, I'm just using cheap 1080 car dash cams mine is not real clear like yours so, how many cameras did you use & what kind? Thanks in advance.
I use the Contour+2 and I just have the one camera with lots of different mounts. 3mounts on my helmet and 1 on the bike. Forward and aft. I shot all the footage at 720p and 60 frames per second. I can do 1080p also but only at 30 frames per sec. Glad you liked it. Thanks.

·
Mountain Rider
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Love it! Was the video speeded up or were you just hauling ass through the twisties?
Thanks Ronnie, the video was sped up. I think the wide angle lens has a tendency to make it look like we are going slow and we really were hauling ass! So, to keep it more interesting I sped it up. Maybe a little too much though if you noticed it. LOL. On the Dragon we were scraping floor boards on both sides constantly. I love that kind of stuff! Glad you liked it.

·
Mountain Rider
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very impressive! I see you went to You Tube from Vimeo for this one. Is it easier or quicker to load to You Tube or is it because so many more people may see it?
It was because there is a limit on how much data you can upload to Vimeo using just the free account so Youtube let me upload the full movie without regard to size. I use both from time to time. This is the longest (and largest file) I have uploaded since I started doing these.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I think that was an awesome video. I wish I could do something like that. Of course I will have to get a video camera first. So that leads me to my question. What camera or cameras are you using? If not a Go-Pro, would it be good enough?

·
red sport.
382 Posts
I use the Contour+2 and I just have the one camera with lots of different mounts. 3mounts on my helmet and 1 on the bike. Forward and aft. I shot all the footage at 720p and 60 frames per second. I can do 1080p also but only at 30 frames per sec. Glad you liked it. Thanks.
Snuskeeter, I want to show you my latest video with my 27$ dash cam. I want another camera But, there's so many to choose from. riding into the sun messes mine up & in my Nissan versa the dash reflection in windshield + sun messes it up??
ride Saturday two deer crossed in front of me. - YouTube

·
Mountain Rider
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think that was an awesome video. I wish I could do something like that. Of course I will have to get a video camera first. So that leads me to my question. What camera or cameras are you using? If not a Go-Pro, would it be good enough?
I use the Contour+2 but they have gone out of business now. So, if I had it to do over I would definitely get the GoPro Hero 3 Black. You should not need anything better than that. It will be quite impressive.

·
Mountain Rider
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where did you get the opening graphics? They set a good tone initially, sparking interest right off the bat. Very professional looking! Did you catch any flack when trying to get your fellow riders to help you out with shots?...lol. Been there.
I crossed the country with four or five people a few times with a drift camera and a mounting means that was quick detach allowing different angles and such. I realize that the options are limited when filming and too much of a certain angle or a certain subject can cause a video to drag. The Drift camera is a much easier unit to handle than a GoPro in that it can actually be "palmed" and allow you to shoot things inconspicuously. Makes for less stiffness in your subjects and you get better shots. You can be filming and no one even knows. These days it's all about quick shots and flow. It's difficult to keep an extended ride interesting in a video where your camera angles are limited. I've always wished moving overhead shots were available at times somehow. Hiring a helicopter just seems a bit expensive, you think? Check out my efforts and let's compare notes.

Devils Tower Ride 1 - YouTube

It's a bit lengthy but it was Virginia to Wyoming. Take notice of all the handheld shots. I tried to break up a lot of the riding scenes with shots that develop personality or captures the experience of the ride outside of just riding. What my video lacked is what yours has...awesome graphics. I used the basic package that comes with MSN.
As well, how did you go about picking out the music? I thought that was one of the hardest parts. I really wanted to have the music picked out BEFORE the ride allowing me to tailor shots for the tunes. Never happened.
Give me your thought process, would be interested in how you went about creating this!
Wow! Your video awesome and now I feel guilty because I actually outsourced my video to a friend that is starting up his own company! 2 friends actually. We all work for the same company and in IT Dept. I have, up til now, done my own editing but when they offered me a huge discount on their services I took them up on it. I of course did all the raw footage as they do not ride. But, then I turned it over to them and you see the final product is awesome. The ones I have done in the past are pretty good for an amateur but nothing like what these guys do. In fact, I liked YOURS better than mine. Some of those graphics were custom made by them I think. Like the fiery Dragon biting his own tail. They have expensive graphic setup on their computers just for that. I even let them choose the music. Getting back to yours though... liked it a lot, the music, the quick change from scene to scene made it hard to look away, afraid I might miss something. The negative image effect, the black and white... nice touch. I used the Contour+2 and it is small too. I have 3 mounts on my helmet ( wife says l look like Atom Ant) and 2 or 3 for the bike but I only use the one on the crash bar mostly due to less vibration. I can point it forward and aft in just about all the mounting points. I shoot at 720p with 60 Fps. It is capable of 1080p but only at 30 Fps and the 60 Fps does better when you use a slow motion effect. GoPro Hero 3 Black gives you much better Fps I think now days. I think I will start doing my own editing again though. As much as I like theirs I don't like sharing the credit! Vanity I know. Their new company is Naples Media LLC. Thanks for watching. PS: Your video by the way tells a very good story, an adventure. I like that.
:biker:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts