Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Man
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I went to start up my Electra Glide classic and when the fuel pump kicked in and started pulling fuel I noticed a leak coming from the petcock where the fuel line plugs in.

My question is, is this an easy fix like I just need a new fuel line or can I just replace a faulty O-ring or something....Thanks:what?

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I have that on my Softail too. Leaks a bit when I turn it from on to reserve. I'm interested to see what the responses are.

·
Registered
43,153 Posts
My question is: Why do you have a petcock on an EFI bike?

·
Registered
43,153 Posts
I have that on my Softail too. Leaks a bit when I turn it from on to reserve. I'm interested to see what the responses are.
Double check the 2 screws on the cover plate of the petcock.

Mine loosened up just a touch once. Tightened them up and no leaks since.

About 1/8 turn is all it took for me.

If it still leaks, you can get a rebuild kit.

·
On the loose
8,725 Posts
I believe you may have mistaken the quick release fuel fitting as a petcock ? Is it cylindrical with no levers and under the tank ? If so then it may be just an O-ring replacement ......... if you have a fuel pump you have an EFI bike.

·
On the loose
8,725 Posts
Most likely it's the one in a groove inside the female connector attached to the tank. The dealer won't have this O-ring as an individual part , they only sell the whole assembly.

I used this one with great results , John Deere part # R26286 Nitril 10mm X 14mm X 2mm , use a pick to dig it out ,lightly coat the new one and both ends with grease.

·
Retired citizen
24,526 Posts
Unplug the connection and apply some grease to it. Plug it back together a few times to get the grease distributed on the o-rings. Many times this will stop the leak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts