Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
FargginNewGuy62
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody; I did fluid change on my 03 Fxstsi at 8,000 mi. Put RP 20/50 Max in the Primary & Oil Bag, using Redline Heavy duty Shockproof Gear oil for the Trans. I have a little over 1,000 mi since fluid change & have developed a leak & have a the clunking sound when shifting, but not all the time. The leak is Pink fluid & seems to be Coming from/Dripping from the backside of the Primary where the belt meets the gear. Checked all fluid levels & no noticeable loss @ this time. If I had a lift I could get under her for a better look, sorry. Any ideals, suggestions, knowledge would be Most Appreciated, Thanks'. http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=276602&stc=1&d=1414246273

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
Inner primary seal? no biggie

·
Registered
710 Posts
My bad read it too quickly ooops

·
FargginNewGuy62
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure that you haven`t over filled the transmission.

Check the vent hose for kinks or obstructions.

He says the leak is pink.....
Yes I did over fill a little bit, just over the "f". How is the vent hose routed? I need to get a Service and Parts Manual! First Harley, Love it! Thanks' for the input.

·
Registered
710 Posts
There are occasions that applies to me ha ha ha

·
Registered
11,965 Posts
Does the oil run down back side of primary and drip off around the primary drain plug area? Put a block of wood (2X4) on floor then set the kickstand on it. Gives you more room stick your head and mirror under there for a look. Clean it good, go for ride check again. Should be able confirm the lube coming from out put shaft of the primary not tranny. Had same problem. If the bike was not level may not get all oil out of primary or the tranny. Tranny vent tube should be coming out the top of
the trans cover. Ride safe.

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
Degrease the whole bottom and take short trips, then check again. If the leak is only on the primary side of the output shaft then it is the inner primary seal. I have a thread here where I replaced mine. Easy to do if you are mechanically inclined, and the Harley repair manual will be your friend.

·
FargginNewGuy62
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Attachments

·
FargginNewGuy62
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey everybody, if the vent tube is on the left side of the Trans cover using about a 1/2'' O.D. Hose, I checked that and was clean as a whistle. From what I could tell so far The Redline fluid seams to be coming from the (Engine) side where the gear and belt come together and not the Primary side. I have her sitting straight up and down and will check tomorrow evening. I did suck out a bit of the Redline gear oil and is now just below the "F". I did this while it was cold and sitting straight up and down. Thanks.

·
FargginNewGuy62
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Degrease the whole bottom and take short trips, then check again. If the leak is only on the primary side of the output shaft then it is the inner primary seal. I have a thread here where I replaced mine. Easy to do if you are mechanically inclined, and the Harley repair manual will be your friend.
Hi, yeah I got home from work, I left her sitting level over night yesterday. I checked when I got home and no fluid. I fired her up, left her level and ran her about 10 min. let sit & checked again, nothing. Went for about a 10mi. ride, got back set her up level let her sit for a while, nothing. Set her back on the jiffy stand let sit for a while and could see the Redline gear oil coming from in-between the Engine and Belt pulley, but only when I set her on the jiffy stand. Any ideas?

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
Trans seal, sounds to me.

·
FargginNewGuy62
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks to everybody for the advice and input. Looks like a trip to the H-D dealer for the Scoot. For this job I'm tool poor and working out doors, 2 strikes. Called one dealer close to me and wanted to charge me $180. just to look @ it, won't be going their! Called another dealer told them the situation quoted me $450 - $500 parts and labor. The tools, service/parts manuals would cost me that much if not more. Thanks again for everybody's help, I DO appreciate it vey much.

Keep Your Knees in the Breeze.

·
Registered
11,965 Posts
May run it for awhile see what happens now with the fluid level lowered in tranny. Worth a shot, keep eye on it. Don't want oil get on rear tire.
Had leaky seal on out put shaft of primary. Think it may have been overfilled some. It just went away, been 20K still have fingers crossed.

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
You remember my primary thread billy. Had the same issue after spending $$ at an indy! Ended up re-doing the whole thing myself. By the way, buying tools cost more than primary parts. So price on second shop is an offset. Get warranty of 1 yr minimum.

·
FargginNewGuy62
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
May run it for awhile see what happens now with the fluid level lowered in tranny. Worth a shot, keep eye on it. Don't want oil get on rear tire.
Had leaky seal on out put shaft of primary. Think it may have been overfilled some. It just went away, been 20K still have fingers crossed.
Thanks Soft Billy, will do. I was going to ride it for a while and just keep an eye on the fluid level. I asked the service guy at H-D about it he said the same thing w/a bit of a chuckle added. He could tell I'm Green when it comes to Harleys. Ha! That's cool.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts