Harley Davidson Forums banner

Leak

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  GotGold 
#1 ·
Seems I've developed a leak . ( 01 FXSTD / Deuce ) It is dripping off my left shock , I think it's coming from my trans.

I just changed fluids a couple weeks ago and this just started after that. Is there a O-ring or washer that I should have replaced on my trans drain plug ? I put a new one in for my oil drain plug and checked my oil again. It's not a large amount of fluid but it's consistent. It's hard to tell if it's oil or trans lube.

I can post some pics this evening.

#2 ·
Its up that high? If your brakes are on that side, keep an eye on it, my primary let go on a trip, nailed the saddlebag, and my rear caliper, no rear brakes on the way home. Had to take em down, clean and replace the pads. It is dripping from your case or running down the jiffy?

#3 ·
Its up that high? . . .
Softail shocks are mounted parallel to the ground under the motor/trans.

Yes, the transmission drain plug has an o-ring just like the oil drain. It's the same part #. Some say change them every time, but I don't unless they are frayed or nicked. I have gotten 2-3 changes out of one before it fails. I don't torque it too tight though. I go with the snug plus a 1/4 turn rule with good results. I am sure there is a torque spec for it. I haven't bothered because I haven't had problems.

You should be able to see if there is oil leaking around that plug if you get your head down there with a flash light. It could also be on the back side of the primary.

#5 ·
Well Sun I wiped & sprayed off all the oil residue , pulled my trans plug and replaced the O-ring, checked and tightened my oil filter . Took it for a ride and it's still leaking :what?

It's oil not trans lube as I used Spectra and it has a distinctive smell & red color , not primary fluid as I used ATF , again not red. Honey colored like Mobil 1 .......

:think . . .. when I put the oil filter on I missed the window in the wrench , turned it back , changed position and re-tightened it . . . too tight I think. The oil was leaking from the filter seal , running, down the case , then along the frame and being flung on top of the shocks by the belt.

Got a new oil filter today and carefully in stalled this one hand tight then about an 8th turn with the wrench. Oh and cleaned up the mess again. Took her for a 20mi cruise ..... no runs , no drips , no errors ..... I believe it's fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.