Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so far Ive tried gasket only application, gasket w/ gasket sealer, and gasket w/grey high temp gasket maker on both sides. All 3 times I used proper torque specs w/ blue threadlocker the 1st time and red high temp threadlocker the other two times.
Second time with gasket and GASKACINCH gasket sealer, following instructions on the can,worked best but, it only held for a few days/rides and started leaking again.
Im pullin my hair out w/ this thing man. Can anybody tell me what works? I really need to move on from this problem. Gotta be a remedy out there somewhere.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Loctite may be building up in the threads and your torque may not be true. Take a tap and clean out the threads and blow out all the old loctite and clean the old loctite off the bolts too. You may also have build up on the mating surface of the inner and or outer primary.
What year bike do you have??
On my 08 FLTR I reused the primary gasket many times and never had a problem but I don't put anything on the gasket and I don't use loctite.
I don't use loctite on anything and I never had a problem with bolts or screws coming loose.
I am assuming you are putting the correct bolts in the correct location.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
I had one fail that was the gasket itself, changed to Cometic, no problems.

·
Retired citizen
23,455 Posts
I would make sure the inner primary seal isn't leaking. That'll look like a gasket leak when the bike is on the side stand. The oil runs down the back of the inner primary to the lowest point which is the gasket area.

·
Hard Member
3,241 Posts
Had that issue before, took to indy to fix. When returned, transmission shaft bearing seal on inner primary was leaking but thought outer gasket was leaking. Best thing to do is degrease, then ride for a few miles and monitor. 6 areas where it could come from: inner primary, outer primary, drain plug, starter seal, inner primary bearing seal and derby cover gasket. I would also check gasket contact surfaces for warps.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Thought my outer primary gasket was leaking, changed gasket same thing, turned out to be the inner primary seal. Note: I now only use "Cometic" gaskets on my bikes and have had no problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Freakin Leakin!!

I have a '89 FXRS and to date have not been able to keep it from leaking oil from the primary chaincase outer cover after several different method attempts such as installing a new gasket with and without sealer and torqued to specs with and without red threadlocker. And always thoroughly cleaning and clearing out old threadlocking material. I even tried using permatex high temp gasket maker with and then without a new gasket but nothin lasts more than a day or few. Cover looks nice and flat when cleaned up and sitting face down on a counter top or flat surface. I would really appreciate some feedback with ideas or methods that I must be overlooking. It s such a simple task and just cant be this much of a pain in the tailpipe. But yet it continues. Somebody please hit me over the head with somethin I can use. lol

Many Thanx - grodaddy

·
Retired citizen
23,455 Posts
How do you know it's the cover leaking and not the inner primary bearing seal ?
With the bike on it's side stand a leaking inner seal will drip oil from the bottom of the outer primary cover near the drain plug or lowest spot on the cover.

·
Wayward Son
23,350 Posts
What Schmidty said.
Also. How long are you allowing the gasket/sealer to set up before trying to ride again?

I question the use of the red thread locker. That`s just me. :dunno
But that should not have anything to do with the leak.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,517 Posts
I just went through this very problem this month. Had to replace tranny shifter and tranny shaft seals plus found a few bearings that were not worthy of staying.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've also had this problem. Oil would drip right at the drain plug and looked like that was where it was coming from. Turned out to be the inner primary seal. You need to clean the bottom and up behind the inner primary cover good with brake cleaner. Crank it up and let it get warm, then shut it off and let it sit till it starts leaking again. Reach your fingers up where the transmission shaft runs through the primary and see if there's any oil there. If there is your inner primary seal is leaking.

·
Registered
12,117 Posts
You can stand bike up some by putting a 2X6 under kick stand. Helps to get a look underneath. I used a mirror and flashlight to see where my leak was. It was the primary out put shaft seal. Oil flowed down to oil drain plug area. Good Luck.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had my 2003 RG doing similar and I changed out the outer primary gasket but did not help. Bike was on side stand and sure looked like that. Turned out to be the jackshaft seal on the other side of the inner primary. It would run down and give the impression of one of those gaskets. Take a inspection mirror and see if its wet there. Should not run up a leak so if its wet there is your problem. Mine was showing up near where the drain was for primary.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts