Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Retired citizen
26,048 Posts
I don't understand why the Permatex isn't working, I use that same stuff quite often. There's no oil pressure inside the trans so any leakage from the seals is from gravity and cling. Check to verify the vent hose isn't plugged, just pull it off the fitting and blow thru it.

·
Retired citizen
26,048 Posts
Getting way to complicated now, overthinking ! That seal was leaking beforehand. I don't think that screw damage has anything to do with this seal still leaking. I've removed those shift shaft seals the same way and have left some screw thread marks in the same area, but the new seal cured the leaks without adding sealer or anything.

So what else can be causing the leak at the shift shaft seal ? I suggested the trans is getting internal pressure from somewhere, the most common is the vent hose getting plugged by hole spiders. Not funny, seen it plenty over the years ! Now that's been ruled out. Actually if the vent is plugged all the left side seals will leak not just the shift shaft seal.

So what's left ? 6spd trans with how many miles, 95k plus ? How many cycles has that shifter been thru in 95k+ miles, good question ? Trans case worn out where bearings and bushings aren't incorporated ? Air cooled engines usually get serviced between 35 - 50k miles, but transmissions go forever until they break !

Just some things that I'm throwing out there for conversation. Transmissions do wear out too ! The bore might be worn such that the shift shaft wobbles to much for the seal to work. I would mic the shift shaft and the bore to see if there's excessive clearance.

One other little diddy I can throw into this conversation. Is there enough room to install double seals or a single double lip seal ?

Long post, sorry !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts