Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not an aggressive rider.. But wondering if the reduced lean angle of the soft-tail line compared to other HDs matters? Seems to be about 5-degrees less at least

·
Registered
39,448 Posts
Do you have scrape marks on your primary cover?

·
Retired citizen
23,351 Posts
Lean is limited by the BAS (bank angle sensor). The engine will shut down if bank angle is exceeded.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I suggest, stop reading specs, if your bike, whatever it is, rides and handles the way you like, if it gets you where you're going, and you're happy, that's all that matters. Lean angles and such really don't matter for MOST people. As you say, "I'm not an aggressive rider", then you'll likely never know the difference.

·
Super Moderator
4,343 Posts
My BreakOut drags the primary when I get aggressive but since I realized it was happening I can change my riding style slighty and fix the problem. I thought I was just grinding pegs for awhile so I didn't really care. It scrapes more than my 97 Heritage did but it corners better so I lean more than I would on the heritage so it really isn't a fault of the bike. I also like to think I would lean into the ST more that I would than a big bagger but have seen those guys whip those bikes around too, pretty impressive to see those drag.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can't get out of the parking lot without dragging footboards on my Heritage. It is what it is. If you want to do a lot of canyon carving, the Softie isn't the best but I still have fun on mine.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My 03 fxst would drag the pipes on right turns but it was lowered in the rear. My friends 12' fatboy Lo drags the floorboards on every turn even when not being aggressive at all. My Road King will scrape the kick stand a little on left turns and my pipes on right turns when riding aggressive on the back roads. My RK turns MUCH better than my softail did fast or slow.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
my 04 train drags pipes on right side never scraped nuttin on left (maybe i need to get that fixed) hummmmm . that skinny little front tire spooks me from time to time

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
my 04 train drags pipes on right side never scraped nuttin on left (maybe i need to get that fixed) hummmmm . that skinny little front tire spooks me from time to time
Same thing with that front tire. Gets more touchy as it nears end tread life. Fork brace gives more feed back, feels better connected with road.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Same thing with that front tire. Gets more touchy as it nears end tread life. Fork brace gives more feed back, feels better connected with road.

A steering dampener will give that W/G the extra control when leaned-over or on a grated bridge or strong cross-winds even with that little 80/90/21 front tire but the larger 90/90/21 made by Metzler (LASER-TEC) is not only much wider but will also fill in that large fender/tire gap ! :bike-038:

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
A steering dampener will give that W/G the extra control when leaned-over or on a grated bridge or strong cross-winds even with that little 80/90/21 front tire but the larger 90/90/21 made by Metzler (LASER-TEC) is not only much wider but will also fill in that large fender/tire gap ! :bike-038:
hummm ill check that out. thanks

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
May be next tire change....:thumbsup

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Try a MC II , my Deuce went where ever I wanted to , handled much better than with Dunlops. Grated bridges , cracks , tar snakes not an issue , smooth ride too.Tires can be the difference since thats what connects you to the road.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have a Deuce and have never scraped anything. I guess Im a puss and have not pushed it hard enough but Ive rode it hard enough to suit me!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
some times im a little too cocky and have had the rear come around a bit because of draggin the right side exhaust. love the sound just dont love what could happen shortly after if im not on my game.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts