Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had never own them but when I checking my state laws about something else,I came across a height limit on them. Till now I never knew there were any. I have to say I'm pretty surprise what gets regulated these days.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm in Missouri too, what is the height limit? I think Illinois recently passed that they are not to be over shoulder height.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Florida has laws on ape hangers, during Daytona, they will sometimes pull you over and measure. I don't know exactly what the height is, but maybe some of Florida friends can help us out with that one.

I've had no trouble and always have apes on whatever bike - usually it's been a custom build too.

·
Wayward Son
23,483 Posts
Several States have laws on height. Some are measured from the seat.
Some, as said, are not above Riders shoulder level.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm wondering if you live in a state that allows longer apes then travel through ones that require shorter if they will hassle you about them being too long.

·
Wayward Son
23,483 Posts
Would think it is dependent on the State the bike is titled in.
But if your being a douche so the Cops pull you over does`t mean they may not try to site you for them too.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
I got pulled over on the way to the first collision. Just to give me a warning that, although he didn't know the exact measurement in the law, but my handlebars may have been to high. Ohio is now not higher than the shoulder, was 15 inches above the seat.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Would think it is dependent on the State the bike is titled in.
But if your being a douche so the Cops pull you over does`t mean they may not try to site you for them too.
I read somewhere (and I hope this is wrong) about folks being ticketed on trips even though their apes conformed to the regulations of their home state. What are you supposed to do, stop at every state line and change your handlebars? That would get old.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read somewhere (and I hope this is wrong) about folks being ticketed on trips even though their apes conformed to the regulations of their home state. What are you supposed to do, stop at every state line and change your handlebars? That would get old.
That what I was concerned about. People who aren't trying to get a ticket get one do cause it doesn't conform to that state requirements even though your home state has different requirements.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
Or pay your ticket and move on.....

I did it for comfort. Mine are definitely 15" above the seat. When a cop tries to ticket me I'll just have him sit on it and see the absolute comfyness.

·
Registered
257 Posts
15" above the seat.
Well I'm way over that. I have 14" bars sitting on 3 1/2" risers and my seat is probably 1 1/2" to 2" lower than my stock seat. I've never been hassled with but I guess they could if they wanted too, hell they could pull over half the bikes on the road. 15" just doesn't even sound right though, I'm sure there are quite a few stock bikes that would be illegal like a Heritage or a street bob.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SoMetimes the state patrol won't say anything unless they have pulled you over for something else. However the 15 in rule sound right.

·
Registered
257 Posts
SoMetimes the state patrol won't say anything unless they have pulled you over for something else. However the 15 in rule sound right.
I saw there were quite a few states with a 15" rule. With being said wouldn't a street bob with 12" bars be higher that 15" from the seat? If not I bet it's pretty close.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry guys Missouri is just weird with there laws and how they enforce them. Somethings about this state will make you shake your head.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I understand your point, and it is unfortunate that while legal in your home state you may not be legal in another state(s). Very similar to helmet laws--even though your state may not require you to wear a helmet, cross a state line and you must abide by their helmet law.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I understand your point, and it is unfortunate that while legal in your home state you may not be legal in another state(s). Very similar to helmet laws--even though your state may not require you to wear a helmet, cross a state line and you must abide by their helmet law.
And gun laws.

Probably still better than giving up to the F-F-F-feds.

--

1 - 20 of 116 Posts