Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Fit 60s Montana guy shopping for first (used) HD. Rode a BSA Victor in San Francisco after mustering out of the military in early '70s and none since. Joined here to learn which HD to consider for comfortable 2-up day rides under the Big Sky and single day rides and around town. Loved the old BSA and would like to find an HD with similar soul and feel. Wide open to suggestions and learning, so TIA. ☺

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Welcome from KY. Man, did you open a really big can of worms with "Which HD to consider...."

For the MOST comfortable 2-up day rides you will want one of the Touring bikes (Road King, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide). For rides around town, lots of different HD models will handle that. I look at it this way: My touring bike (Road Glide Ultra) is what I want for trips--lots of storage, changed the stock seat and it now fits me like a glove, Cruise Control, stereo & GPS, etc., etc. ALSO, my RGU is quite capable of just riding around town and, only occasionally when maybe parking the beast, do I think about a smaller, lighter HD LOL. But with a smaller, lighter HD I would be paying a price all damn day on a road trip. Just my two cents worth, YMMV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Joe and Candyman! What HDs -- if any -- are a fairly comfortable compromise between a big cruiser and an around-town bike, going to the local gym to a 50-mile run to Yellowstone Park?

·
Wayward Son
23,316 Posts
Thanks Joe and Candyman! What HDs -- if any -- are a fairly comfortable compromise between a big cruiser and an around-town bike, going to the local gym to a 50-mile run to Yellowstone Park?
A purely subjective question.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
As TS stated, that's really a subjective question. But...., IMHO a compromise would be a Heritage Softail Classic. Now I wouldn't give up my RGU for a Heritage, but, you might like them. Also as stated, go to one or more dealers and look around, sit on some that might be in the running, ask questions, so forth and so on. And, maybe you will be able to test ride some.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a 2016 Heritage Softail classic, first year with Cruise Control and ABS. People say the new 2018 and above have the best suspension and ground clearance. Used go for 16 to 17 thousand around here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Joe. Appreciate the response and pointers. I get that it's subjective, and that's why I'm asking the HD pros/veterans.

·
American
26,996 Posts
Today’s Ultras can handle as well as any of them. Don’t settle for less if you don’t need to.... but I’m a believer that a Harley chooses you! Look around sooner or later you will be rescued! Lol

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
What jpassh2o, said! You can't pick a Harley like you can't pick a good dog. They pick you! 100%. That's why Louisville Joe, said: Go check out the bikes at the dealerships and go look at those listed by private party (if looking for used). You will discover that one of them will just climb into your soul. The color, the fit, the bling (or lack of) will eat at you. Yes, The bike will pick you! Believe it!

Every time you open that garage door, you should feel that "Wow, That's MY Bike".. If not, you picked it... You, got the wrong bike.

Reactions: ARIZONA MISFIT

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

This '03 softail just about dropped into my lap. A 5-hr run to Flathead Lake, MT, to pick her up today! Feel like I'm 11 years old on Christmas Eve -- 55 years ago. ☺ Thanks to the forum for your help and encouragement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts