Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Harley-Davidson producing thousands of motorcycles for the war effort during WWII, the US Military found itself training thousands of soldiers to effectively ride them. Military bases across the country developed training programs to prepare the troops for wartime service. Article contains photos of training from across the country.

WWII Motorcycle Training

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
Very cool! Thanks for sharing Jim!

·
Registered
36,951 Posts

Armed motorcyclist serving as a messenger for his platoon of the mechanized cavalry reconnaissance unit, Fort Riley, KS, April 1942.
I've been told that there is one of these Flathead WLAs in the Custer Museum at Ft Riley....

I may have to take a ride over there and check it out.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,288 Posts
Thanks My FIL did this. Still have his operator/maintenance manual. It is in pristine condition for being over 70 years old.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
VERY cool. I love anything re-telling and expanding WWII history.

I did have one question about the photos. In a couple of them, it shows the soldiers using the bikes as defensive cover. I get that, but it shows them laying the bikes over on their sides. This surprises me. It would seem to me that if you did that, you would be at risk of all sorts of issues like losing the fuel and/or oil, contamination of the carb with oil, clogging the air intake, etc. I guess any of those things is preferable to being shot, but if you have to haul tail out of Dodge, you want the thing to start.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VERY cool. I love anything re-telling and expanding WWII history.

I did have one question about the photos. In a couple of them, it shows the soldiers using the bikes as defensive cover. I get that, but it shows them laying the bikes over on their sides. This surprises me. It would seem to me that if you did that, you would be at risk of all sorts of issues like losing the fuel and/or oil, contamination of the carb with oil, clogging the air intake, etc. I guess any of those things is preferable to being shot, but if you have to haul tail out of Dodge, you want the thing to start.
Somewhere I saw a little bit of information on that. Apparently one of the techniques they had to learn was laying the bike down (at speed) and getting behind it to take cover. Probably faster than stopping the bike, putting down the kickstand and then getting behind it. You have to imagine that dispatch riders got shot at a good bit, so this would be a good way to take cover quickly.

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
If you notice, all the pictures of them laying the bike on it's side, the bike is on it's left side. Might have something to do with carb placement and how oil is distributed through the engine.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If you notice, all the pictures of them laying the bike on it's side, the bike is on it's left side. Might have something to do with carb placement and how oil is distributed through the engine.
I did notice that, but in thinking it through it occurred to me that you certainly may not always have that option. If you are riding along and take fire from the left, you either flop it down on the right side, or you have to turn around or do a "controlled" high-side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts