Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know or think that they get a little slippery in high humidity or rain?

EDIT: If you happen to know of a source for the tank bib shown in the pic I'd appreciate hearing from you! :)

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
No. If you soaked them for a week: Yes.

Use leather treatment as you would on any leather to keep them somewhat waterproof and they'll outlast the leather strings that tie them on.:D

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
I checked the Harely accessory catalogue, and it's not listed.

ALTHOUGH, a matching fringe mudflaps with conchos and matching weave is: #59027-99, and matching winshield bag (weave pattern and concho) is listed at pt# 52931-99.

They are BOTH listed for the Heritage Springer, leading me to believe that the bib is specific to the Heritage Springer, and if you went to the dealership and asked them, they'd be able to order it for you.

It's not an accessory, rather an OEM part for 1997-2003 Heritage Springer, and judging by that one in the pic, I'd order it for a 2003,
100th anniversary Springer, and you'll have your part.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for knowing where to go on that and for reporting back!
Now, if I can only find a craftsperson who makes such a bib for a FLHRCl.

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Thanks for knowing where to go on that and for reporting back!
Now, if I can only find a craftsperson who makes such a bib for a FLHRCl.
If I'm corect, doesn't your dash go all the way to the seat? No bib would fit there. You *MIGHT* be able to get a short dash, and install the bib that way....... :confused: Roadking has a full length dash. The Springer has a short dash, and the bib covers what once was the crack between the 2 tank halves.

My point is: If you bought a short dash for a Springer, and the Bib, you'd have the same look as that Springer. Not terribly expensive, if that's what you really want. Tomorrow, I have access to a 2005 Roadking that I can yank the dash and see if it's possible, if ya want......??

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I truly don't like the dash on the FLHRCl and would like to add a bib similar to this style

It would cover the entire dash and extend all the way to the end of the tank. It would be absent the pocket and lacing. It would be made in the same type weave pattern so as to sort of go with the FLHRCl seat, bags and the fender bib I have on the back.

Going with the Heritage dash would be a last resort. Great idea if necessary. Thanks!

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Back to the grips - assuming you have gloves on it's wet leather to wet leather, and I don't think that's gonna slip.

Nubuck or similar water-resistant spray (shoe shop) would prolly help as well. HD does one but it's twice the price of course :)

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back to the grips - assuming you have gloves on it's wet leather to wet leather, and I don't think that's gonna slip.

Nubuck or similar water-resistant spray (shoe shop) would prolly help as well. HD does one but it's twice the price of course :)
Pete, I will be wearing a glove and thought that was the case, but someone planted the doubt in my mind.

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Pete, I will be wearing a glove and thought that was the case, but someone planted the doubt in my mind.

If you were using a poorly tanned leather, with little to no modern dye or treatment after tanning, then I'd expect it to get yucky. When I was a kid, I remember leather gloves my granmother bought me (the black ones with the rabbit fur lining) getting crappy as all get-out, after playing in ths snow, making snowballs for HOURS.

Don't be afraid to use a good leather treatment on them if you're worried. Make sure it's nothing that'll make the grips slippery though.

What it would take to subject your grips to the kind of abuse to make them slimey would be more than you'd ever allow 1/5th of to reach the Queen..........:D

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What it would take to subject your grips to the kind of abuse to make them slimey would be more than you'd ever allow 1/5th of to reach the Queen..........:D
This is such a good thing to learn! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts