Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a mesh jacket that has a removable liner. With the liner removed the air literally goes right through the jacket and does it's best to keep me cool (not easy in CA when the temperature is 90+). and with the liner in, I get some protection from the cold.

Since I now own a harley, I've been thinking about getting a leather riding jacket...but here's my problem.

With temperature often in the 90s, I feel I will die if I stop at a light and have the sun beating down on me. I heard someone tell me once that it's not like that since the leather actually provides a shield from the sun because of it's thickness and that when you're riding, zippered airways help keep you cool. And again, because of the thickness, it will keep me warm if I'm riding at night and the temperature drops.

however, I'm still skeptical and would like to hear some other riders experience.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,472 Posts
I live in a place where the humidity makes it feel like the hundreds when the temps are low 90's. It is very uncomfortable at a stop with the mesh jacket. A leather jacket would be filled with sweat in no time at all. Now I have been known to wear a leather jacket on PCH in Northern CA during the summer months. That ocean out there makes things a bit chilly.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
don't buy anything until you ride a bit and figure out what suits you, what your tolerances are for temps vs any risk. too many buy all the garb (I did) only to find out they won't use it.
good luck.

·
"MacHine"
379 Posts
I have heard that leather chaps have a cooling effect in the hot sun. But I can't ride in hot weather with my leather jacket. It's just too hot. They do make mesh and/or light weight jackets, with protection in the elbows, shoulders and back. Otherwise, I wear long sleeve white t-shirts when I know I will be riding in hot weather.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,472 Posts
+1 on the long sleeve white T's. Lots better than skin cancer later, and they keep you cooler.

·
Registered
11,057 Posts
I have a nice leather jacket I got for a reasonable price at a Cycle Gear outlet. In cool weather it really feels good and with a pair of gloves I can ride all day in comfort. I guess it would also help if I rode in cold weather but I don't ride in cold weather so I can't be sure.

But with the heat and humidity we get here in the Ohio Valley in warm months, I still wear jeans, socks, boots and fingerless gloves with pads but no jacket. Too hot already with boots & socks. Often just have a tee shirt on and I realize the protection I'm giving up with just the tee but a jacket would just be unbearable.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Nothing wrong in wearing the mesh jacket that you already have. If you want a leather jacket, buy one and strap it to your bike so you have it if needed.

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
Check out leather jackets that have zippers to open front and back for ventilation. This will work up to a point in hot weather while on super slab. Its not summer all year in Calif. If you ride along coast be glad you have it along with some good chaps/pants. Buy a good leather one with a zip out liner with sleeves not just a vest liner. In town riding need a mesh jacket with some built in armor for elbows, shoulders etc. Check out Leatherup.com, have good selections. Ride safe

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I'm in Fort Worth, Texas. If will hit 100 everyday this week. Depending on my ride, I will wear helmet, jeans, boots, and fingerless gloves, vest for CC. If I know I will get out on the highway for an hour or more, I will put on chaps and sometimes even a leather jacket (I take the liner out and open the zip vents in front and back)( I have the armor on the elbows and shoulders). Yes it's warm, but I am always moving. Protection for me is more important than a little heat.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
I have a mesh jacket with the pads and I found it very comfy on 90' days. Dress for protection and comfort and not the image.

·
Registered
356 Posts
just my opinion from riding in the southwest ...

when temps get into the 90's, better think about making your gear lighter. and above 100 it becomes pretty essential.

I will try to wear my vented leather jacket as much as possible inside the city (L.A.). But above 95 deg F, I usually set it aside. I go with long-sleeve white T-shirt and a leather vest. The vest does NOTHIN for crash protection - but does offer a little wind protection. I also scale back the aggressiveness of my riding a lot when wearing less protection ... slower speeds and I try to make the separation distances around my bike bigger.

Some people swear they wear full protection in all circumstances. I cant do it myself when temps get above 95 deg F. It makes more sense to me to keep my brain 100% right, and not keel over from heat stroke.

just my $0.02

dT

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
other side of the country, and can wear leather from October almost into June.
Just offering a tip, google San Diego leather. Made in USA, very good prices.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I'm pretty sure Cali only has a Helmet Law, and not a jacket law.
Just Leathers in San Jose has the best jackets at the best prices.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I usually wear a leather down here in Dallas until it hits the high 80's then I switch to a mesh jacket. It's still very hot with with it but I like the protection. I also have one if those cooling vest were you soak in water and wear underneath jackets. It really helps. However, truthfully; I don't ride much around here during the day from mid June through Aug.

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
I'm pretty sure Cali only has a Helmet Law, and not a jacket law.
Just Leathers in San Jose has the best jackets at the best prices.
Yep we have helmet law. People are still angry about it. Unfortunately a lady rider wrecked because of items falling off a truck. Suffered brain damage, just out of ICU I believe. Wearing one of those little bitty beanie helmets.. If your have to wear one at least do a 3/4 one. This is 2nd. woman who suffered brain damage in a wreck from stuff falling off trucks, same kind of helmet. A good friend of mine died wearing a novelty helmet. Just my 2 cents, ride safe. Sorry for the hi-jacking.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
I have a mesh jacket with the pads and I found it very comfy on 90' days. Dress for protection and comfort and not the image.
^ This :thumbsup

I have a HD mesh jacket with the optional protection pads. Works great in the summer while giving me some level of protection.

I also have leather jackets, but those I use only when it gets cold.

With the new bike I got a new jacket that I need to try it out... Men's PowerHouse Jacket – Large - 97429-14VM - supposed to give me better protection than the current mesh jacket that I have, has airflow pockets... doubt it will be as good as the mesh in the hot days... will test it this weekend.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
In Houston, a leather jacket could be deadly in the heat and humidity. Almost passed out once with it on. Felt light headed , clammy and sweat was like a river.
I have a mesh with pads with pockets for ziplock bags of ice on my spine and chest. Can do full helmet, boots shin and knee guards, thigh and hip padding, gloves etc in 110+ with almost 100% humidity. Stop every 30 minutes and change the melted for fresh ice.
I also have the upper full body armor for street racing with chest and back protectors in light mesh that will slide in under the mesh jacket. I just don't trust those girls talking on the cell and swerving all over, but still want to ride often.

Technically, I could ride with the street body armor with no shirt, but might look more like a robo cop.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
In Houston, a leather jacket could be deadly in the heat and humidity. Almost passed out once with it on. Felt light headed , clammy and sweat was like a river.
I have a mesh with pads with pockets for ziplock bags of ice on my spine and chest. Can do full helmet, boots shin and knee guards, thigh and hip padding, gloves etc in 110+ with almost 100% humidity. Stop every 30 minutes and change the melted for fresh ice.
I also have the upper full body armor for street racing with chest and back protectors in light mesh that will slide in under the mesh jacket. I just don't trust those girls talking on the cell and swerving all over, but still want to ride often.

Technically, I could ride with the street body armor with no shirt, but might look more like a robo cop.
Unbearably hot here in Texas. I have many long-sleeved t's and always wear a leather vest with the chain snaps in front to let air in. Boots, jeans, gloves, long-sleeved t, vest and a 3/4 helmet with air vents. Works....still have to stop and hydrate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts