Harley Davidson Forums banner

Leather treatment for RKC saddle bags?

5K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  HKMark23 
#1 ·
What's the preferred, an Armor-all or something, Mequires?

#2 ·
Years ago, I bought enough crap from the stealer that they gave me this bucket with all sorts of goodies in it. One of the things was a bottle of HD "Leather Care" treatment. The stock number on the bottle is 98263-95V. Of all the Harley products they sell for shining up the scoot, this was some of the best stuff I have used...it actually worked. Problem is, I haven't seen the stuff in years. I assume they changed it from the cylindrical bottle to the conventional bottle all of their other stuff comes in.

#8 ·
I have used the small container of leather dressing that came with the bike when I purchased it new; no part number on the 2.5 oz container though. I have applied the leather dressing a couple time each year to the saddlebags since purchased in June 2012 and still have 80% of the product. No pigment with this product and it leaves the surface a little glossy.

I also have Doc Bailey's Leather Black that I have used on my leather gloves. It has a black pigment that can restore color to faded leather. I have not used this on my RKC leather saddlebags but I don't see why it couldn't be done. This product can be buffed if desired to provide greater shine.

#13 ·
Obenauf's has a line of leather cleaner and treatment that I tried after researching on line. Doc Bailys is also rated high. Mink oil is an old stand by that is probably part of the formula in most leather treatment products.

#31 ·
I like Obenaufs. I'm pretty sure it doesn't contain mink oil though.

Bees wax does a great job on my leather saddle bags and my leather riding boots.
Obenaufs does contain bees wax and bee propolis.

I don't try to "waterproof" leather boots but leather "conditioners" like Obenaufs are great for preserving and softening leather abused by water and heat. I carry boot covers to provide a dry ride when conditions warrant it. FWIW I believe silicone and other waterproofing pastes prohibit breathing and promote rot. Bee propolis is anti-bacterial and fights rot.

Years of working offshore have taught me 2 things about boots. Rubber boots are waterproof; leather boots are not.

Have you ever seen a bee in rotten boots ?? Nuff said ! :D

#16 ·
I'll spray wash first if they are really dirty. Then pre-clean with pledge. Then the special formula stuff. The pledge gets rid of a lot of gunk and makes it easier for your leather treatment stuff to work.

#25 ·
I received the Doc Bailey's yesterday and applied it last night. It looks pretty good but I didn't see a drastic difference, guess the bags weren't all that bad but they're definitely improved.
Oddly enough the Meguiars still shipped but won't get to the local Walmart till Monday. For the $7 I might just go pick it up to keep on hand and try it at some point.

#26 ·
I just picked up the HD brand black restorer and clear protectant. Not bad price wise ...$8 each. I applied them both on the heavy side and barely made a dent in the jars. They will probably dry out or get lost before I run out

Anyway, very surprised by the results. The bags and seat on my RKC looked great before and when I first applied the product in the garage didn't see much improvement. But when I rolled her out into the sun it was a dramatic difference. Much much deeper black and no unevenness in appearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.