Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
I like Mothers Back to Black...this chit works good..use it on my saddle bags on my Fatboy and on the seat....its not slick like Amoral...and last a long time to...good for trim on you car, black on your car mirrors....all around good shit.....and a little bit goes a long way to...I use 1" or 2" foam brushes and paint it on...works great...:nod

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
My God man.....$30.00 a bottle...aint nothing that good..unless you can drink it...

·
Registered
180 Posts
My God man.....$30.00 a bottle...aint nothing that good..unless you can drink it...
$30.00 to keep in perfect condition my $6000.00 leather interior in my truck is not that bad...I got a bottle about two years ago and still have more than half left so at the end of the equation is about $5.00 a year...Not bad investment in my opinion for the best...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use the Harley paste. Leave it on overnight and it penetrates the leather. Great stuff.

·
Remember
412 Posts
Been using SmartLeather for years on auto leather and just used on all my leather on the bike. I love the product.

I use Lexol on the jackets and horse saddles, boots, etc.

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
I tried many leather conditioning products overtime and found that Lexol is by far the best out there for conditioning jackets, gloves, saddlebags and chaps :thumb. It consistently receives five-star reviews from most manufactures of leather products, tack shops and the like.

Suggest staying away from H-D Leather Dressing as it contains petroleum distillates and tends to dry out leather and stitching over time. Same goes for mink oil, lanolin and other animal fat products. Also, avoid silicone conditioning products as well. Although decent for waterproofing, it’s a poor leather conditioner. For waterproofing and conditioning boots, I use Sno-Seal which is made up of beeswax which allows the leather to breathe after applying. From experience, suggest heating the boots near a fireplace or in an oven at 125 degrees for about five minutes before applying the product. Once the leather is warmed up, the Sno-Seal just melts right into the seams. Another good brand is Obenauf's Leather Conditioner.

Attachments

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
so why not just use plain old bees wax its cheap and warm up an use
You could Cicso. Heck, for about a buck fifty get a toilet bowl seal from Wal-Mart and cut it with some turpentine and you pretty much got the same chit. I just like the convenience of Sno-Seal already bottled. But you're right, you could use beeswax. :nod

·
Registered
3 Posts
Leather treatment

As an upholsterer as well as an affeciando of leather, my latest preference is Mother's mostly due to the lanolin content. Mink oil is good but difficult working in colder weather. I belong to an auto trimmer's forum and the Mother's seems to be the most liked there. There is also what I believe to be a European brand called Oxymol (or something like that) but it is harder to find. Good first press olive oil will work as well as neatsfoot oil.
When the animal was alive, nature kept his hide well oiled from the inside out. Our only choice is to duplicate that from the outside in.
Whatever you use, use it OFTEN, even if the bike is just sitting. Like anything preventative the initial cost will be recouped.
I charge from $250.00 to 450.00 for a new seat(s) in leather so it seems that a couple Jacksons a year ain't too bad!
Socks

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
I've used Lexol for YEARS on cowboy boots, chaps, saddles & tack, spur straps, etc, etc. Great stuff.

Remember though, you don't want to use too much conditioner. Too much of any kind will break down your leather and cause dry rot. At least, it does on saddle leather.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I use the Harley paste. Leave it on overnight and it penetrates the leather. Great stuff.
+1 been using the harley stuff on my distressed leather seat and it seems to be working very well. rub on leave on over night and buff in the morning

·
Retired citizen
23,188 Posts
Or simply use "saddle soap". That's what grooms use for tack.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts