Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my pork belly no longer fits inside any of my old jackets. The other day while waiting on a friends bike drop off at local stealership,I was looking at leathers[holy crap!]besides needing a equity loan to get one,I noticed a variety of synthetic material products.just for an example[dernier].All my old timing dude friends,myself included use leather for the last hundred years.Has anyone out there have experiance with the synthetic mesh stuff?how does it handle cool and or cold weather,rain,hot weather,cleaning,ect,ect.I noticed it seems to weigh much less than leather.I didnt try them on,just picked them up and looked. Any opinions pro or con gladly accepted.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I have 4 nice leather jackets that have shrunk over the years. My latest (5 yrs, ago) jacket is a Joe Rocket mesh with armor. It is cooler than leather and with the liner just as warm. It's not lighter because of the armor. All ballistic fabric ratings are not the same, and I think all are pretty much sacrificial for pavement contact. I still prefer leather, but no matter which closet I hang them in, they shrink. :eek-surprise

·
Employed
4,095 Posts
Leather will save your hide. The others, unless they have armor, are only good for warmth and looking up to date stylish...If you're into that sort of stuff!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have both but I admit I've never really warmed up to the denier style.The shoulder and elbow armor take some getting used to I guess..In warmer weather I usually wind up wearing a blue jean jacket which is pretty worthless as protection.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
If you finally decide to get a nice HD jacket, leather or otherwise, try them on at your local stealership. But once you decide on one and know what size you need, the HD name & part number, etc., check out the prices from several of the HD dealers that sell HD items at a discount on the Internet--Boardtracker, Ronnie's HD, etc., etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never really been into the HD branded shit, I'm sure i'm like the rest of you,if its got two wheels its o.k. with me. Never been into the up to date fashion either.I just thought that maybe someone has come up with a better way to go.After all it is 2018,technology has changed alot since just the 70's.I'll have to hit a couple mom and pop leather joints to find the clearance rack[always done me good in the past!]that and staple my mouth shut and shed 75 lbs.I've got an el cheapo china really thin one now that a buddy gave last year,big enough to fit 3 sweaters underneath,so I have some time to shop around.Thanks for the input,I'll have to kick this one around a bit.

·
Friend of Al Swiners
178 Posts
Leather Gets MY Vote!

Unfortunately I have had the over-opportunity to test out several leather vests, shirts, jackets, chaps, gloves, and even a pleather covered helmet(besides several others). :eek:eek

Leather held/holds up pretty much in ALL conditions. Granted, the stitching and zippers may need to be replaced, but the leather remains. Sometimes the tanning gets scraped through, exposing the the rougher texture, but several times the road-rash is superficial and can be almost erased with shoe polish and leather treatment products.

FWIW, Had to toss all my damage gloves, as they were not salvageable. In particular, one of my gauntlet HD Winter Mittens had the synthetic gauntlet shredded with foam insulation flying everywhere. Bought a 2nd pair of these discontinued mittens, so I now have two right and one left... :wink

Attachments

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I've never really been into the HD branded shit, I'm sure i'm like the rest of you,if its got two wheels its o.k. with me. Never been into the up to date fashion either.I just thought that maybe someone has come up with a better way to go.After all it is 2018,technology has changed alot since just the 70's.I'll have to hit a couple mom and pop leather joints to find the clearance rack[always done me good in the past!]that and staple my mouth shut and shed 75 lbs.I've got an el cheapo china really thin one now that a buddy gave last year,big enough to fit 3 sweaters underneath,so I have some time to shop around.Thanks for the input,I'll have to kick this one around a bit.
The textile 'riding jackets' that HD sells are well designed in my opinion and function very well as intended.
Look at the FXRG stuff. I got one in my size online for half the price. Some dealerships put the older models on sale to make room for new inventory...as has been said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts