Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and a friend recently added an ny choppers 30s style stop lamp to my 2013 street bob. the bcm has cut the circuit because of the difference in loads. what i am after is a set of led lights to take the place of the filament bulbs that are in the light now. as the title states. i need to know where to buy led bulbs without internal resistors. this is a temp fix that will bring the circuit back to life until i can find/afford a load equalizer box. or make a resistor pack my self. i believe the bulbs are an 1157 style single filament.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
226 Posts
walmart sells led super brite bulbs , pilot brand. 2 in a package for about $15. a package. I replaced all of my turn signals & tail lite with them. I am well pleased x tra brite.******

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
walmart sells led super brite bulbs , pilot brand. 2 in a package for about $15. a package. I replaced all of my turn signals & tail lite with them. I am well pleased x tra brite.******

Do they work without a load equalizer?

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
The LED lamps will work with the running lights and brake lights, without the load resistors( equalizer) but the flashers won't work, they'll either flash really fast, or other oddities.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Just to straighten you out on the LED's. If you had LED's without internal resistors, they'd blow the second you hooked them up. The equalizer is needed for the flasher relay, because the flasher is designed for a load of about 20-40 watts. The LED's only load the flasher with 2-3 watt's so the flasher mis-behaves. The equalizer is nothing but resistors across the load to make the flasher think the bulb is there. Putting a 5 ohm, 10 watt resistor across one light on each side of the bike will load the flasher, so LED's can be used.

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
It's my understanding that the H-Ds equipped with BCMs accommodate LEDs. No ballasts required.
That feature might need to be turned on with the shop computer.
Look in the owners manual for LED usage.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we wired it up on the factory lic plate circuit not turn signals. The factory lic plate bracket has 2 leds. I was told I needed 2 without resistors.

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
The stop lamp won't work wired to the license light circuit. The stop lamp has to be wired to the rear brake switch circuit.
The rear running light will work off the license light circuit but not the stop lamp.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Just to straighten you out on the LED's. If you had LED's without internal resistors, they'd blow the second you hooked them up. The equalizer is needed for the flasher relay, because the flasher is designed for a load of about 20-40 watts. The LED's only load the flasher with 2-3 watt's so the flasher mis-behaves. The equalizer is nothing but resistors across the load to make the flasher think the bulb is there. Putting a 5 ohm, 10 watt resistor across one light on each side of the bike will load the flasher, so LED's can be used.
Thanks bobf. Good info.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Schmidtys, you are absolutely correct. I missed the BCM, in the first post. One may be able to just cycle the four way flasher on and off a few times, and it programs itself.( I believe some bikes work that way)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Schmidty you are correct but we found there was brake signal there. Which I found wierd myself and so did the harley tech I talked to. But its there. And the brake light worked on that plug. Im probably gonna re run it once I get the circuit to come back up any way. The thing is. Harleys wireing diagrams are pretty wierd to read. It still shows the 13 sb to have a stand alone brake light. When its just like the wg.

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
Holeyguy66, did you run the OBD yet and check for codes ? If there's something there it could give some insight to what's going on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No. Im still.learning the bike. The obd connetors im used to seeing is the ones in the cars and trucks. I havent even had a chance to put my hands back on my bike yet.

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
There's a sticky in the electrical section that gives the procedure for retrieving codes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. I ordered some cheap led bulbs last night. Im think since i went the reverse route as everybody else. From led to regular bulbs. Im thinking thats the biggest issue. Could be wrong but worth a shot.

How ever. The plug we repurposed was a three wire terminal. The other side was also three wire with just 2 being used for the license plate. Hints why we found brake switch signal there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alright schmidty i just checked for codes as you instructed me. i got ecm-n bcm-n and speedo-n. im assuming since i couldnt navigate any further through those menus that means no codes present?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts