Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an led kit that I can just plug into my stock tail light socket and turn my oem tail light into led? 2008 Street Glide.

I'm not interested in run/turn/brake kits, just want an led tail light.

I've bee searching the internet and come up with squat, I must be dumb this morning.

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
My brother had a replacement bulb that is all self contained and not only is LED but also flashes 2-3 times when you hit the brake. It also "rotates" on running light mode. I'll ask him where he got it.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
I know the opening on the new taillights is super small compared to some i have seen. I tried it and it sux. The LED arr bright but not that many to help alot. Spend the money on a harley oem or bright ass lights or a custom dynamics.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I put the "Brightass Light" on my superglide last year. It can be programed to do a variety of different flash patterns. Real simple. Direct replacement for your tail light. Check the web sight.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The Radiantz taillight mathes OEM perfectly. It is as bright as the Bright Ass but doesn't having the flashing functionality. It's also a lot cheaper. I have one on my bike. I'm very happy with it.

You seriously should consider run/stop/brake. If you use something like the Badlands module, it takes five minutes to do, looks no different and makes A HUGE difference in visability.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've have had run/turn/brake set ups before and I know they really add to visibility.

But I installed a trailer harness last week and that required the harness, a powered converter and then an additional 4 pin converter. I'm getting alittle skittish about the rat's nest of wires I'm accumulating under there.

I might install this led tail light.....
https://www.denniskirk.com/drag-specialties/low-profile-l-e-d-taillight-w-no-tag-light.p215358.prd/215358.sku

....and I could always add a run/turn/brake module later.

I was born without the electrical gene, and even simple plug and play engineering intimidates me. LOL.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Bright Ass Lights are plug and play. Simply unscrew to OEM tail light and then screw on the new tail light. I spent more time playing with the various program modes than I did for the actual swap. As the name says, they are BRIGHT!!!! I was seeing spots for a couple of hours afterwards.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Just make sure you do a little research. Just because it is an LED, doesn't mean it is any brighter than the OEM light. Some of the cheaper ones are cheap for a reason.

I know that the Radiantz and the Bright-Ass-Light are a lot brighter than stock. I have seen them. It's obvious. I have also personally seem the Kuryakyn system. It is brighter than stock, but not as bright as either of those two.

If you just want LED because it's LED, then I guess it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bright Ass light was my choice after riding beind one an thinking how anoying it was, then it hit me, that's what I want when some texting or makup applying person runs up on my back side! They are plug and play and are a great safety feature.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
If you want to keep the oem look. Get the led tail light from Radianz, remove the led board and install it in you stock lens. It's easy, I made two of them so far. PM if you need more info.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If you want to keep the oem look. Get the led tail light from Radianz, remove the led board and install it in you stock lens. It's easy, I made two of them so far. PM if you need more info.
If you want to, you can buy just the board.

Not sure why though, their taillight is an exact match for the OEM as far as I can tell. What's different about them?

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
If you want to, you can buy just the board.

Not sure why though, their taillight is an exact match for the OEM as far as I can tell. What's different about them?
I think we discussed it a couple years ago.. We had a bad batch of laydown lenses. The plastic was thin and brittle, and as soon as the vibes made it to the rear of the bike,The lenses would spyder crack around the screw holes. Radianz came good on the issue. The batch you got yours from was good.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Last week, I went to a local Walmart and saw LED side marking lamps for trailers. They were only 7 bucks. I cut up some crap metal plate hanging around in my garage and made a support for them and bolted right on the muffler hanger bolt. Works great!!! I have always felt that the rear of my bike is not as noticeable to following cagers and wanted to give it a little more visual attention. I did not hook it up to blinkers or stop wire. It is just running light.

I also found a LED driving light(?). I connected to the wires on front signal inside the fairing and installed on the saddle bag guard. They are facing the road and illuminate the ground around the bike at night. It looks pretty cool and very visible. It also blinks yellow when turn signal is on.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
I'll also give a plug for the Brightass BAL-1. It's bright as heck. You can't look at it for more than a few seconds during the day. At night NO ONE gets close to my rear end. I have it set to do 4 quick flashes before the brake light stays on steady. Had on on my Sporty too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts