Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Ok, I know this is a text-book scenerio for a "one and done" poster, but in the interest of the public record nature of our forum, I'll offer what I can.

The outer fairing is pretty easy to remove. The procedure is in the service manual. Look there, google it, or whatever, but you need to take the outer off.

The speakers are right behind it mounted in the inner with supports mounted to the inner mounts. Check the wiring, it may just have come off or is loose or the wiring is frayed at the spade connector.

If the wiring appears correctly fixed to the speaker, check the speaker. The easiest way is with a 1.5v AA battery (or AAA or C,D whatever you have. I wouldn't recommend a 9v.) It may be easier if you remove it, but at least unplug it. Use a couple of test wires to wire to the battery at each pole. Touch one to each of the terminals on the speaker. You should hear a slight pop and and see the speaker move either fully back and stop or move fully forward and stop (depending on which pole you touch to which terminal) If this doesn't happen, the voice coil in the speaker is open, and you need a new speaker.

If you have a digital multi-meter (which you will need anyway for other testing) you can also check the impedance between the terminals. It should be around 2 ohms (probably a little lower) if you have the newer Harmon Kardon system. If you have the older Radio Sound stereo (2005 or older) the speakers should be should be in the 6-8 ohm range. If they read open when probing the two terminals, the voice coil is probably cooked, or if it reads as a dead short (the same as touching the two test probes together) you have a different problem but the speaker is equally dead.

If the wiring to the speaker is in tact and speaker is good, move on to the head unit. You need a multi-meter. The output for music is AC voltage. Set your meter to meter AC voltage. Turn on the radio and play something. You should get a voltage reading when you touch the two test probes to the two speaker wires coming from the harness. Make sure to unplug them from the speaker before the test.

If you do not get AC voltage, there is nothing going to the speaker. If you get nothing out of the speaker wires, at the speaker end, you need to probe them where the wiring plugs into the head unit. (the radio) Just match the wire colors. If you get output voltage there but not at the speaker end, you have wiring issue in the harness. You'll have to strip it back and trace your problem. If you still have no output at the stereo end, the radio probably has a dead channel in the output amplifier. You need to replace it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I lost my left side speaker in the fairing. After going through testing procedures and discovering it was the Harley radio left front output i decided to pull out my touring wiring diag and find where the rear speaker wires are (i dont have rear speakers)? I used pins 3 and 10 from the ultra connector for the left rear speakers. Set the fader in the middle and back in business. Not sure if that will work for you but its not the hard and cost zero vs buying new radio. I am broke right now. if you need more info on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts