Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know much about the lemon laws? My 03 is in the shop for the 4th time for electrical failure in the last year. The last time it was in the main wiring harness was replaced (under the extended warrenty) and the day after I got it home the charging system was dead. Now they are replacing the stator, regulator and battery. It's been in the shop for almost 6 weeks now...:bat

·
Registered
212 Posts
The lemon law is different in each state. Most are something like three failures in a given period of time for the same failure or a certain number of days in the shop. Being an 03 it would probably be hard to get any kind of lemon law on a three year old bike but only a local attorney could really tell you for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I read some info online, but, not sure due to the age as you mentioned. Guess I will have to call one of the lawyers that specialize with this kinda stuff. Sure has become a pain-in-the-arse in the last year. don

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know in NC it has to be the same exact failure 3 times with in an 18 month time frame. There is no limit to shop time. Now here is where it gets tricky. If the motor is running rough, and they do a tune up, spark plugs, the problem comes back still rough this time they do a coil, then still rough now they change injectors, still rough so they install another set of plugs. You only have two of the same problem, spark plugs. The dealers act stupid on this but know the law inside and out. Make sure that on any work order that ALL and EVERY Problem is written down. Keep sharp notes, times, miles, and anyother related problem that you find. Now some states the problem has to be a certian percent of the value. Like you cant get a new car or refund for leaking weatherstipping. Some States Motorcylces and other Hobby type veicles are not valid for the lemon law. Like Max said ask you lawyer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lots of good info, thanks! I may be screwed due to the problems beginning at around 25k miles. Luckly I have an extended warranty, best money I've spent on this bike. I may drop a dime and get ahold of a lawyer and see what they think my options are. It could be that my only solution is to trade it in. don

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All righty then...no dice on the lemon law thang, bike is too old. The good news is that I just got it back from the shop and so far so good. Time will tell for sure. One thing for certain the folks at Antelope Valley HD (Lancaster CA) went all out to help resolve this. They are the first dealership that really made the effort to get to the bottom of this problem once and for all instead of just doing a quick patch job. If you are ever out that way, give them a shot. A round of beer for those folks! don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.