Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I powder coated my rear turn signals on my 14 SG and the lens are not 100% tight seal around the housing. Is this normal or a big deal? It not bad just a slight little gap very minimal but never noticed it till now.

·
Registered
42,545 Posts
Is the gap all the way around?

If the gap is only on part of the circumference, the powdercoat is thicker in one area.
You can fix this with some fine sandpaper wrapped around a flat object (or some fine gunsmithing/jewlers files), and sand the mating area of the housing till flat. With the lens on, you wont be able to see anything was done.

Follow up with polish if you wish.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
A VERY steady hand and razor blade will work too. Is it popping the sense or just a gap?? Worse case scenario, a little black RTV will hold it in, seal it, and blend in.

And I thought you weren't gonna do the turn signal housings??? :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will post some pictures tomorrow, but the lens is completely secured and on the housing. The gap is very minimal and only in 1 or 2 areas on both turn signals. I removed moved the lens a few times to ensure it was going on correctly. I can try to sand them down some but is it a huge deal if it isn't sealed completely or should I use silicon to fill it in?

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I will post some pictures tomorrow, but the lens is completely secured and on the housing. The gap is very minimal and only in 1 or 2 areas on both turn signals. I removed moved the lens a few times to ensure it was going on correctly. I can try to sand them down some but is it a huge deal if it isn't sealed completely or should I use silicon to fill it in?
Shouldn't be a huge deal, but I would want it sealed as much as possible.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shouldn't be a huge deal, but I would want it sealed as much as possible.

Not sure what else to try, I did add the custom dynamic led so I thought that was what was causing the issue but they are pushed in all the way. They gap is very minor, but I will try to sand it down some. Kind of wished I would have left it chrome man been a pain with these turn signals

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Not sure what else to try, I did add the custom dynamic led so I thought that was what was causing the issue but they are pushed in all the way. They gap is very minor, but I will try to sand it down some. Kind of wished I would have left it chrome man been a pain with these turn signals

Did you buy the CD lenses?? I think they are shorter lipped to make room for the LED plate.

·
Registered
42,545 Posts
If they don't fog up when you get rained on, then its not a big deal apart from the aesthetics.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
No I had these around the house, no one ever mention to buy there lens

I would call them, I'm thinking that may be part of it. The plate that the LED's are mounted to would interfere i would think with a stock sense and it's mounting depth.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would call them, I'm thinking that may be part of it. The plate that the LED's are mounted to would interfere i would think with a stock sense and it's mounting depth.

When I called them today about if they would short out if wet, CD asked me if I was using their lens and said it was fine to use the stock ones.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
When I called them today about if they would short out if wet, CD asked me if I was using their lens and said it was fine to use the stock ones.
Well, I would have to say that it's your powder coat interfering and causing it then, as I know my lenses sit flush with the CD 1157 kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts