Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ever one; I am chasing a 97 HD softail custom and should be on it soon. For the biggest part the bike has been in storage since 98,has 10,400 miles, runs great and the bike looks brand new. Am not concerned for the long storage for it was properly prept for it.
Can anyone here give me a review on the bike and how it would compare to a newer softail.
Thanks. :eek:)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,288 Posts
As far as the storage goes, of course replace every fluid. There are fluids specific for storing so it might look different when you drain it. I would also change them again at a closer interval at first to flush out the residual gunk from it sitting.

Have you heard it run? You stated that it runs great so I assume you have. It looks sweet. The 80 EVO is a good engine but the new bikes out are the 103 so more ass behind them. I just sold my 97 Heritage partly because I commute more on the interstate and it lacked any power at 80+ but it was an awesome cruiser and very dependable. Also, watch for tank corrosion. I had some of this and it was getting through the petcock filter and clogging up the carb often. An inline filter for 3 bucks took care of that issue.

What type of riding do you do most? That would help with the compare / contrast with other bikes you may be considering.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not counting local riding ,most of my rides are 100 mile round trips some 200 and in the 5 years that I’ve owned my Sporty I’ve gone on a few 3 to 400 mile rides with a total of 50,000 on the bike to date,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts