Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going out to Anaheim almost each January to attend the NAMM show (music merchants) but was not able to attend this year. My friend though from Scotland who goes and I hang with sent me this yesterday. I was looking at one last year there but didn't buy it because I wan't sure of the plate size for Massachusetts. I liked it because around here it would be something different. It should fit but the top of my reg. sticker I think might be cropped where it says Massachusetts and I wonder if it will get me pulled over.

I have a reflector though along the bottom of the mounting bracket that already interferes with the plate but I got around it without removing it by using spacers behind the plate. This bracket though will cover the reflector up I think.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I guess that is up to any officer that sees your tag. My tag bracket covers most of my year sticker. I was kind of worried, then started noticing car tags. A whole lot of car brackets are so large it obstructs most of the state and/or the year sticker. I think the cops mostly go by color of sticker?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A whole lot of car brackets are so large it obstructs most of the state and/or the year sticker. I think the cops mostly go by color of sticker?
That's a good point. The color and year would be visible enough, just the writing on the top

Here's the issue with the reflector

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don' see a problem with the license frame....all the pertinent DMV info is visible. Of course a real CS officer could make an issue of it. Not likely though. Better to ask forgiveness rather than permission.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My SP buddy said its fine as long as they can make out the year on the sticker which they can. Everything that needs to be is visible enough.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is OT, but I don't think it warrants a separate post.

I put a laydown brocket on my Softail Deluxe. I noticed the wonky factory bracket had a reflector on it, but now I have no reflector at all on the rear.

Is one required? I don't ride at night, but I realize I could get caught out some time so I am not totally against it. I guess if it is required by law that will make the decision easy for me.

I've also wondered about this with saddlebags. Are they required, advisable, or do they just include them to cover their butts in case someone is in an accident and later claim the bags covered their factory reflectors???

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is OT, but I don't think it warrants a separate post.

I put a laydown brocket on my Softail Deluxe. I noticed the wonky factory bracket had a reflector on it, but now I have no reflector at all on the rear.

Is one required? I don't ride at night, but I realize I could get caught out some time so I am not totally against it. I guess if it is required by law that will make the decision easy for me.

I've also wondered about this with saddlebags. Are they required, advisable, or do they just include them to cover their butts in case someone is in an accident and later claim the bags covered their factory reflectors???
I don't think reflectors are required at all, just a safety convenience. The only thing required I believe are lights, though I'm not sure how functional a plate one would be with a laydown bracket.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't think reflectors are required at all, just a safety convenience. The only thing required I believe are lights, though I'm not sure how functional a plate one would be with a laydown bracket.
Yeah. The laydown bracket doesn't really lay down, just leans back a little and is slightly curved. Both make it fit the look of the fender much better and don't hurt visibility appreciably. Of course, looks are subjective. The OEM bracket, though, didn't even have a back plate so I woulda had a bare plate with nothing behind it sitting perched up there all perpendicular to the ground. People's eyes seemed to go right to it, mine especially! HD puts the laydown plates as #4 and #5 on page 1 of their accessories (out of about 1250 accessories), so they pretty much know the stock bracket is not too popular.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts