Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 road king with a 103 that was made into a fuel moto 110 this past winter. It runs good but on occasion it sounds like a week lifter on fron cyl. The noise is intermittent last 5-10 seconds then it goes away. It is usually between 2-3 thousand rpms, Harley shop says its normal with bigger cams, Im running woods 999. Should I put in new lifters or any suggestions, Harley said run it but Im looking for second opinions here.

·
Retired citizen
23,115 Posts
I have a 15 road king with a 103 that was made into a fuel moto 110 this past winter. It runs good but on occasion it sounds like a week lifter on fron cyl. The noise is intermittent last 5-10 seconds then it goes away. It is usually between 2-3 thousand rpms, Harley shop says its normal with bigger cams, Im running woods 999. Should I put in new lifters or any suggestions, Harley said run it but Im looking for second opinions here.
Did ya change out the lifter springs perchance ?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure,dont think so. they reused my screaming eagle lifters with 7500 miles on them. Should I try adjusting the pushrods I didn't do the build then I guess I would no for sure if there adjusted right.

·
Retired citizen
23,115 Posts
Not sure,dont think so. they reused my screaming eagle lifters with 7500 miles on them. Should I try adjusting the pushrods I didn't do the build then I guess I would no for sure if there adjusted right.
Yes.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where can I find how to adjust lifters on my 15 road king I have adjustable push rods, Just need instructions if someone has the patience to tell me how , I didn't see it in my manual.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,105 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If adjusting them doesn't take care of it, I have no problem with the S&S lifters. At this point I want to get them adjusted properly first since I didn't do them I don't no that its correct.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bike is on the lift I will do this Tuesday june 11th after work. Not sure what kind of push rods I have will try to figure it out tomorrow I guess, as far as how many turns to give them.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Harley shop says its normal with bigger cams, Im running woods 999.
I think your answer is right there. Hi lift cams and Woods in particular are noisier than stock HD. I do know someone who spent a bunch of money installing rocker lockers and S&S lifters, still has noisier than stock valve train. just sayin'

·
Registered
12 Posts
I been looking at different videos on YouTube. There are several out there that show you exactly how to adjust push rods, there is a video from S&S on tappet, or lifter installs and adjustment for the pushrods ... If your not sure or don't feel confident take it to the shop and have it done. I have a 110, I'm changing out to S&S Premium lifters, and roller rockers to eliminate top end noise. Will be doing that mid Aug. Cant wait to get it installed, hate that top end noise. Ill post when its done and let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
FWIW generally roller rockers are noisier than stock ones. You may want to check out rocker lockers

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went away this weekend at one spot I though the engine was gonna fly apart the noise on the front cylinder got that bad, stop by a Harley shop and they installed S&S lifters I told them to adjust to 140-150 don't no if they did. Drove 25 mile though it was fixed and it started again, then it goes away lasting closer to 30 seconds now. I got home and ordered rocker lockars and will install tomorrow night. At least there are no pieces under rocker covers.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I watched the video from rokar lockars and that seams to sound like the noise Im having, How can it come and go and not do it all the time?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts