Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Ultraclassic with a 1340 Evo. The bike runs great, very strong with no performance problems at all. It has 58,000 miles on it. I have recently noticed a chattering / clackety noise coming from the front of engine, when at idle with the engine hot. I notice this especially when the ambient air temp is hot. When im riding it there is no noise, it only occurs at idle when the engine is hot. It sounds very similar to a car with noisy valves. The only thing ive done recently is change the oil. I used Castrol 20w-50. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Just Ride
3,205 Posts
Change to a straight wt. like a 50 in the summer months. Evos tend to have a noisy valve train but not as bad as the twin cam. What's the oil pressure guage reading ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
864 Posts
Did the noise become more noticable after switching oil? It has been claimed that synthetics result in more noise.

Have you ever replaced your lifters? I have an Evo and had to replace a(the) lifter(s) at about 40K. Your lifters / tappet blocks may be due for replacement.

Adjustable pushrods? May be loose / out of adjustment.

Tappet oil screen dirty? May be restricting flow to the tappets.

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
pop the cover off & check the cam bearing and/or lifter rollers

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I have a 1995 Ultraclassic with a 1340 Evo. The bike runs great, very strong with no performance problems at all. It has 58,000 miles on it. I have recently noticed a chattering / clackety noise coming from the front of engine, when at idle with the engine hot. I notice this especially when the ambient air temp is hot. When im riding it there is no noise, it only occurs at idle when the engine is hot. It sounds very similar to a car with noisy valves. The only thing ive done recently is change the oil. I used Castrol 20w-50. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I'd pull those lifters out and inspect those rollers, before you ride any more.
There was a Moco service bulletin, that stated to "inspect and/or replace" at 25,000 miles.
Scott

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
Agreed, the lifters have surpassed their service life.

·
Registered
146 Posts
just had mine done at 37k. put it in to have an EV 27 put in, found one of the bearings on the roller on 1 lifter was about to go. replaced. NOW I have the same clickity noise you describe coming from front of motor. using syn 20-50, and will be changing over to straight 50 wgt when I get home from this run. also, Dave suggested using Sea Foam, said it helped him out, might give it a try

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Change to a straight wt. like a 50 in the summer months. Evos tend to have a noisy valve train but not as bad as the twin cam. What's the oil pressure guage reading ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
gauge is reading apx 10 at idle, a little over 20 at highway speeds. I dumped the 20w-50 and switched to HD 50W. It seems to have helped somewhat, it still makes some noise, tho not as bad as before. But its too early to tell. The temp here in Pittsburgh is a little cooler now. Do the pressure readings seem ok ? Thank You

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just had mine done at 37k. put it in to have an EV 27 put in, found one of the bearings on the roller on 1 lifter was about to go. replaced. NOW I have the same clickity noise you describe coming from front of motor. using syn 20-50, and will be changing over to straight 50 wgt when I get home from this run. also, Dave suggested using Sea Foam, said it helped him out, might give it a try
What does the seafoam do?

·
Registered
146 Posts
here ya go:

Anyone that owns an Evo knows it has some upper end valve issues and funky noises. There's lifter issue and a Moco bulliten, there's the inner INA cam bearing issue, (Timken replacement is suggested) and there's the dreaded cam "whine" that progresses to tell you it's going south.

I've been plagues with the "Ticky-Lifter" syndrome, specifically the front exhaust lifter, as expected.

Today, I yanked the lifter screen, and sure enough, it was spotless, as expected, since i maintain the bike well. It has 30,400 miles on it, ridden easy and I use straight 50wt in temps above 50*, and 20-50 below that.

I reinstalled new exhaust gaskets to eliminate that noise ability, then drove the bike 10 miles to go get coffee. Same lifter noises, same highway noises......

Stopped at Napa, and bought a 16oz can of Seafoam. Placed 5 onces (1 oz per gallon) in the gas tank, and 4.5 onces (1.5 per qt) in the oil.

Took the same 10 mile highway (55-70 mph) ride.

FOR THE RECORD:

I'm NOT a believer in magical-mystical goopy-cans of shit you pour in your tank/oil and it rebuilds the engine, but I still can't get over the lack of sound, and the change in the engine. Enough, that I took it out and rode another 10 miles, WANTING to hear noise, and nadda......

No noises. 75% less ticky. No NOTHING, than the usual valvtrain noise in the rockers, and very mild cam whine. It was the quietest I've heard the engine since I've owned the bike....ever.

I attribute some of it to plain, old top end lubrication assistance, refering to 10% ethanol use and some of the nasty things it can do, like drop mpg....:

Consumer Reports has issued manufacture warnings regarding damanging effects of E10 10% ethanol fuel on engines including Harley Davidson. Damaging effects include corrosion of metal and non metalic parts in engines, including oxygen sensor damage, piston ring sticking and piston bore failure due to the costic effects of running E10 alcohol gasoline. The report suggest frequent oil changes and to follow manufactures recommended maintenance schedules.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know that they've surpassed their service life, I have seen some last longer. But, yes, Harley did have problems with them,so you're at crapshoot stage anyway. The needle bearings in the rollers seize up and things get bad fast.
If nothing's been done to the bike in 58,000 miles, I'd cut the pushrods out, replace with adjustables, replace the lifters, and the cam bearing which will have a plastic cage should be replaced with the upgraded all steel one.
That's what I'd do

1 - 17 of 17 Posts