Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
brand new night train, i can see fine with the high beams but the lows i can't see much. should i replace the headlamp or the bulb? any suggestons?

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Kinda ironic that the NightTrain has the small headlight on it, I was never happy with the one on my sportster and got a used 7-8 inch off a real pig. Course there is a miriad of aftermarket lighting you could look into, HD foglights? auxileries also?
You might have a look at your owners manual there should be a headlight adjustment guide in there so you can make sure it isnt outa line, check with your weigth on the scoot.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,197 Posts
I felt a 5" headlight was just not big enough, it's piss poor lighting and a scandalous safety hazard IMHO.

But hey, maybe it's the best Harley can do, what 'dya think they spent, about $20 on the forward lighting on a $20,000 motorcycle?

I switched to a 7" reflector on both bikes, top quality Cibie lens and a 65/75 watt bulb. Still working on some low beam help...

You will probably find that your bright is so weak that people won't complain if you use it all the time. Damn sure I'd use it in the daytime.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,197 Posts
That just improves the apprearence of the bike by 500% too, IMHO...............
Gee thanks Dave. Funny how much that comment means.
You may be the very first person who has expressed a notable appreciation for the look.

I've shown this mod a off bunch, and gotten just a few Oh that's nice,
or nothing in reply.

Remember the video clip "The Creed" It inspired me to solve the problems and make this happen.

We believe in rumbling engines,
in pistons the size of garbage cans,
in fuel tanks designed in 1936,
in freight train sized headlights,
in chrome and custom paint.

·
Registered
39,566 Posts
I put the Xenon bulb in my headlight, PN #67074-02. I rarely use the high beam. <shrug>

·
Registered
39,566 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,197 Posts
By the end of the day, I should have my wiring done, 10 gauge direct for BOTH hot and ground,
a relay for BOTH high beam and low, and a pair of driving/conspicuity lights rigged to run from either/both relays,
depending on what I find when trying out a dizzying array of 20 watt, 35 watt and 50 watt bulbs,
with beams of 36 degree flood, 20 degree flood and 12 degree spot, in clear and yellow.

I suspect on serious lights, routing power this way and not thru the wimpy stock wiring
and switches might deliver an extra volt to the bulbs, and that might mean 20% more light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts