Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about updating my lighting to LEDs now that LED Lighting has decreased in price. I have a 2013 Ultra Classic FLHTCU and want to change the Headlight and Running Lights as well as replace the front Turn Signals and Rear Turn Singles with LEDs.

My understanding is that LED Lighting seems to last forever. 15,000 plus hours or longer.

I can find the Headlight and Running Light assemblies on Harley or JP Cycles for several hundred dollars, but these are also available on Amazon or Ebay for less than $100 for the set.

Has anyone used these cheaper aftermarket LEDs and had any luck? Yes I know the old saying you get what you pay for, but I just cant see paying $400-$500 for something I can purchase for less than $100.

I'm finding Turn Signals LEDs for both the 1156 and 1157 bulbs with the front being white running lights and yellow turn signals and the rear being red running lights and red brake lights. These LEDs fit the 3 1/4 Flat Pancake style housings.

I think I understand the Front Signal LEDs, solid white light for running and flashing yellow light for turning, but I'm unsure regarding the rear set. Seems its Red Lights for Running and Red Lights when the Brake is applied. I assume the Red Running Lights flash when the Turn Signals are on?

I know this is an awesome group of Harley Members so any help will be appreciated! Save a Brother some money so he can save for his Sturgis Trip this year!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought the knock offs for my 19 SGS on Amazon. I used the white and amber upfront and the red in the rear. I also bought the knock off headlight too.

So far I don’t have any problems and they are better than the stock lights. I didn’t have the money for brand name. I put it all in the motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the knock offs for my 19 SGS on Amazon. I used the white and amber upfront and the red in the rear. I also bought the knock off headlight too.

So far I don’t have any problems and they are better than the stock lights. I didn’t have the money for brand name. I put it all in the motor.
Awesome! So your front is white while running and only flash amber when the turn signals are active? How about the rear? Red while running and red flashing when the turn signals are active? Bright Red when Brakes are applied?

·
American
31,913 Posts
work well for me.
Font Gas Signage Automotive exterior Rectangle

Font Gas Signage Advertising Sign

·
Registered
142 Posts
Awesome! So your front is white while running and only flash amber when the turn signals are active? How about the rear? Red while running and red flashing when the turn signals are active? Bright Red when Brakes are applied?
yep when I use the turn signal they turn amber and the backs light up red.

·
Retired citizen
25,593 Posts
Just a FYI people, all electronics are subject to early failure ! For the most part if the electronics of your 'what ever' continue to function for a few months it's a good bet they'll last damn infinite if properly serviced ! ! ! That's why those companies feel safe offering 1 year warranties ! Read your warranty cards, with your lawyer present!

Reactions: tekslk and RJ64

·
1,093 Posts
I used Sunpie for headlight and runners and Custom Dynamics for turns and brake (probeam)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used Sunpie for headlight and runners and Custom Dynamics for turns and brake (probeam)
Sunpie seems to have the best price on the Daymaker Set.

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
Thanks Louisville Joe, but I just as well purchase from Harley Davidson given their high prices.
Scuba, on my last bike, a used RGU that the previous owner already had put on the CD front & rear turn signal lights, I put on a CD flashing LED on the tour pak and I wanted the "filler" lights between the rear fender and saddlebags. CD makes them and Harley sells them too with the HD label but I doubt HD makes them. The HD filler lights cost more than the CD filler lights and the Harley's had a one-year warranty versus the CD lifetime and the Harley's weren't as bright as the CD's. And...., about 2 or so years after I put the CD filler lights on one of them stopped working. Called CD. They asked me to take a pic of the front and also of the rear of the filler light and email them. OK, did that. Just a few days later I received a replacement filler light from CD and they didn't even want the bad one returned. Nuff said.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scuba, on my last bike, a used RGU that the previous owner already had put on the CD front & rear turn signal lights, I put on a CD flashing LED on the tour pak and I wanted the "filler" lights between the rear fender and saddlebags. CD makes them and Harley sells them too with the HD label but I doubt HD makes them. The HD filler lights cost more than the CD filler lights and the Harley's had a one-year warranty versus the CD lifetime and the Harley's weren't as bright as the CD's. And...., about 2 or so years after I put the CD filler lights on one of them stopped working. Called CD. They asked me to take a pic of the front and also of the rear of the filler light and email them. OK, did that. Just a few days later I received a replacement filler light from CD and they didn't even want the bad one returned. Nuff said.
Thanks! That's awesome Customer Service and Warranty!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
My experience. I went cheap amazing. Hated the headlight. Looked and advertised as a day maker. It was awful. Couldn’t see shit. Signals looked ok but Everytime id hit them it would throw my check engine light but they would work fine but key light would stay on till I cycled the ignition. No clue why woudnt even throw a code just would turn on the light . I bite the bullet bought a 600$ headlight and custom dynamic everything else. Headlight is the brightest I have ever had and looks awesome. All the CD stuff works perfect and no key light. You can just tell by looking at them how much better they are made.
Just wanted to share because the only thing worse than feeling like you paid to much. Is buying 200$ worth of amazon stuff and end up tossing it in the parts bin.

Reactions: slingshot383

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can’t find the headlight but these are the blinkers and tail lights.
Thanks! I have the 1157 ttype bulbs front and the 1156 type bulbs rear. I found a vendor on Ebay that offered a set of both 1157 and 1156 LEDs. I've questioned the seller to ensure they will work on my 2013 Ultra Classic. Awaiting their response

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thinking about updating my lighting to LEDs now that LED Lighting has decreased in price. I have a 2013 Ultra Classic FLHTCU and want to change the Headlight and Running Lights as well as replace the front Turn Signals and Rear Turn Singles with LEDs.

My understanding is that LED Lighting seems to last forever. 15,000 plus hours or longer.

I can find the Headlight and Running Light assemblies on Harley or JP Cycles for several hundred dollars, but these are also available on Amazon or Ebay for less than $100 for the set.

Has anyone used these cheaper aftermarket LEDs and had any luck? Yes I know the old saying you get what you pay for, but I just cant see paying $400-$500 for something I can purchase for less than $100.

I'm finding Turn Signals LEDs for both the 1156 and 1157 bulbs with the front being white running lights and yellow turn signals and the rear being red running lights and red brake lights. These LEDs fit the 3 1/4 Flat Pancake style housings.

I think I understand the Front Signal LEDs, solid white light for running and flashing yellow light for turning, but I'm unsure regarding the rear set. Seems its Red Lights for Running and Red Lights when the Brake is applied. I assume the Red Running Lights flash when the Turn Signals are on?

I know this is an awesome group of Harley Members so any help will be appreciated! Save a Brother some money so he can save for his Sturgis Trip this year!!
I had custom dynamics LED’s Installed on my 2011 streetglide. The rear lighting was so poor with stock setup. Have the taillights,lower rear fender light and saddlebag lights now. Super bright everyone riding with me totally impressed with the upgrade .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really appreciate everyone's advise regarding updating my lighting. The thing is I'm retired now but still enjoy riding my Harley, however I can no longer afford expensive name brand products. I can either purchase the expensive products and show off my bike in the garage, or enjoy riding it. Thanks for understanding.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts