Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darkest, deer infested road in town, wife on back, friggin headlight, driving lights and markers all go out. Put flashers on so i can see something, pull over. Let it idle for a minute and everything comes back on. Any thoughts? Self resetting breaker? Gremlin?

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
Check wires, must have loose one some where. Perhaps a ground? Any codes pop up?

·
Retired citizen
24,275 Posts
Sounds like a breaker is tripping, wire shorting out somewhere in the lighting circuit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After spending several hours chasing this gremlin, I found that it is the lighting breaker that is tripping. If i run the bike for 8-10 minutes the blue (running light) wire that exits the breaker, is practically melting, and eventually pops the breaker. I have cleaned and checked all grounds. If I turn on the passing lamps, it speeds up the process of the wire heating and tripping. I took the connector at the breaker apart and all looks good. I also tried a new breaker, no change. What would cause this? Thanks

·
The Extreme Member
1,477 Posts
Too much load on the circuit.

·
Registered
632 Posts
A short in a wire grounding out some place if you have not added any other lights or tied something into that circuit causing it to be over loaded

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The wires that run back to the rear lighting often get damaged and cause problems...

Something quick to try: unplug the connector that goes to the wiring for the rear lighting.

See if the problem still exists after that harness is unplugged

·
Banned
71 Posts
Check all of the connections to be sure they are clean and tight. Check the headlight plug also, it is known to lose contact and heat up (melt even ) .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, i did check and clean headlight plug. Also, i already uniplugged rear harness, no change. Also checked left bar end/hi/lo beam wiring. Im still working on it, please keep thoughts coming

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thanks, i did check and clean headlight plug. Also, i already uniplugged rear harness, no change. Also checked left bar end/hi/lo beam wiring. Im still working on it, please keep thoughts coming
Keep unplugging things, and leaving them unplugged, until it stops tripping the breaker. The last thing you unplug will most likely be the problem then .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dan89: I just tried an old trick that another of your posts had suggested. I took the tester, put the clip on the pos lug of the battery, stuck the sharp end into the connector, blue wire at circut breaker. It lit the test light. I then unplugged the rear harness connector, still on. Then the handlebar harness, still lit. Lastly I disconnected the plug that goes to the forward running lights and driving/spots, the test light went out. So, this should mean the short is in this harness or in the directional/running lamp/spotlight assembly themselves. Am I correct in this assumption? Thanks

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
The large lights, ( headlight, running lights, etc.) could light the test light without a problem. What wattage bulbs do you have in the headlight and running lights? Maybe you have overloaded the circuit. Try removing the running light bulbs, and see if the problem clears.

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
:popcorn

·
Older Than Dirt
47 Posts
Random lights problem....

Same was happening with my '12 FLSTC.
Random on/off, sometimes this, sometimes that.
The stock voltage regulator was junk.
Replaced w/Cycle Electrics VR. About 2K miles since then,
no more problems (knock on wood!).
Good luck
Ride Safe

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Dan89: I just tried an old trick that another of your posts had suggested. I took the tester, put the clip on the pos lug of the battery, stuck the sharp end into the connector, blue wire at circut breaker.
For this method to work, you need to isolate each branch of the circuit and test separately. The branch of wire you are checking must be disconnected at both ends so that there is no path to ground (note: the negative cable must be connected to the battery).

Connect the clip of test light or voltmeter to positive terminal on battery, touch the other probe to either end of the wire. If you get a voltage reading/light, it means there is an unintended path to ground in that section of wire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I realized the need to isolate the harnesses, after! I spent the morning ringing out the entire harness to no avail. No shorts. The best I came up with was the bulbs are too much for that little blue wire. I ran a nice large feed, with a breaker at the battery, up to the headlight bucket. Put in a relay. The stock feed for the lights acts to energize relay with and new wires there feed the headlight and spots. Also, now my spots stay on with highbeam (i like), and the highbeam switch still works as original. All seems good now and that poor little blue wire is nice and cool. Kinda seems like MoCo should use a relay there from factory. Thanks to you all for the help. Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts