Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, what are your thoughts? I have until May 31st to get the extended factory service warranty on my bike. It's $ 1,400.00 for one year and $ 1,900.00 for three years. The general manager who I get along with very well at my dealer, is investigating whether the mods I've done to my back might affect what is or is not covered. This will probably be the ultimate factor in my decision, but all things being equal what do you guys think? While my bike is built up pretty well, I don't beat on it in any manner and change my oil and filter every 2,500/3000 miles. Has 9,800 miles on it now, coming up on the 10,000 mile service. ( still running the original tires and they actually still have tread left so that tells you how it's taken care of / driven plus I keep REAL close watch on the air pressure 40-front/45-rear )

As always, appreciate your thoughts and opinions.... :)

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
I think there are some lengthy discussions already on your ESP issue with lots of members praising/not praising the ESP but let me suggest you also check some local credit unions. I found one in Louisville that sells motorcycle ESP's and the price was only around 1/3 of what the HD ESP goes for. Now the credit union plan wasn't as all inclusive as the HD plan but it did cover all the major components and then some. I could have slept very well at night having that plan and it wouldn't have damaged my checkbook too bad.

Problem was, my ThunderMax tuner was a mod that would have greatly reduced any protection with their plan so I didn't buy it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I had bad experiences with extended warranty. They always look for loop holes. Plus every occurrence you have a deductible, and how often does a major problem really happen on a well maintained bike. In my humble opinion it is better to take the money you would of spent on it and put it aside. If something happens to bike u got that much towards repair. If nothing happens you are that money ahead.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had bad experiences with extended warranty. They always look for loop holes. In my humble opinion it is better to take the money you would of spent on it and put it aside. If something happens to bike u got that much towards repair. If nothing happens you are that money ahead.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Makes sense....and with my bike I doubt they'll need a magnifying glass to 'see' loopholes they would certainly jump on. Thanks.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,781 Posts
First bike I bought was used and came with two years and I bought one extra along with it, about two thousand miles into my ownership and two blocks from home I heard a sqeak from rear wheel got home and checked rear wheel bearing sqeakin..I had everything wheel and tire, everything.
I take bike to dealer ..a day later they call and say the hub was damaged and I need a new wheel and it wasn't covered.. the bearing was covered.... Consequential damages they said

The dealer helped me out as much as they could according to them. Everything was covered but the wheel and they "found" a way to knock off $150 off of it somehow. So my option is with bike I have now,just get what comes with bike and take care of it,had a lot of people say if something major is going to break it will do it within a year or two.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
its like insurance if you don't need it waste of money if needed the good deal on my 04 wide glide never used it got the tire and wheels on my 07 and got 2 tires replaced from road damage and also had to have new jugs had some blow by they put new jugs pistons and cot 50 would have been about 3500 with labor so they said I think if you don't have enough cash to get bike back on road fast its a good deal and if you put a lot of miles on there are other extended service plans but I never had any trouble from the one though HD I have stage one and race tuner and after market pipes with the kind of money I make right now I would get the warranty on any new bike just so I could have less down time if something did go wrong

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
If you can afford it added to the payments I would do it. I did it on my 2012 WG and its already paid for itself. AND I didn't have to say to the wife I need $1800 to fix the bike. Just sayin

·
Registered
400 Posts
It is really a personal thing. If you purchase a ESP you are guaranteeing that you will have at least that much expense during that time period for mechanical breakdown. Also, it depends on the price of the ESP. This is an area of additional dealer profit and prices vary dealer to dealer. Aftermarket ESPs are only as good as the company who sells them and many of those have been know to go out of business taking your money with them, making their warrantees worthless. They also are full of loopholes to keep them from having to pay.

For my money, I take care of my vehicles and maintain them, I do not abuse them. If buying new, you get the original factory ESP. Usually if there is some kind of mechanical defect on the bike, it will show up during that first two years. I don't buy them. The chances are slim on a Modern bike that you will have a major repair in the first few years and they definitely price them so the odds are in their favor. But, if having any type of vehicle breakdown is going to materially affect your standard of living and want the peace of mind then go a head and buy one. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the extended warranty on my 2009 Road King Classic and has already paid for itself. I just re-upped this year.

However, if you are going to do extensive custom work like adding a 120R or S&S engine to your bike, don't bother.

JamesNT

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
Here is my take on extended warranties...

You buy the warranty because you're betting on the reality of a failure that the warranty will cover. The dealership sells you the warranty betting that you'll never need it.

I have never purchased a extended warranty on any of my vehicles and I never had the need for one. Hopefully this trend will continue.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,781 Posts
Here is my take on extended warranties...

You buy the warranty because you're betting on the reality of a failure that the warranty will cover. The dealership sells you the warranty betting that you'll never need it.

I have never purchased a extended warranty on any of my vehicles and I never had the need for one. Hopefully this trend will continue.
I work with a guy that bought his first harley in 03 and he told me he had it for 4 years and had extended the whole time, he traded for his ultra in 07 said he had it covered until he traded for a new ultra two or three years ago.
He had first two bike under coverage the whole time he owned them, he is known for really taking care of everything he owns..he never used any warranty, he said he spent a lot of money for extended on first two bike. So he said he has not bought any extended warranty for his latest bike...hope it works out for him.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts