Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious.... I'm looking at the differences between the 2015 EG Limited Low and the Classic Low. The main "mechanical" difference between the two is that the Limited has liquid cooled heads while the Classic is fully air cooled. Having always had air cooled cycles I'm not sure why the difference and which should I consider........any thoughts?

·
ZVO
1,416 Posts
The biggest reason is that your bike will keep a good running temperature when it's liquid cooled. But you do sacrifice a bit of the cool factor on your bike because the lower fairings take away a little from the overall look of your bike.

I personally would love to have a liquid cooled bike. Looking at a CVO for 2016

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
You are going to get pros and cons on this. I don't have the liquid cooled but I could see the positives being it running cooler. Seems they have most of the problems hat were initially being had fixed.

·
Señor Member
19,600 Posts
I had a liquid cooled Honda. It was a pleasure to ride in hot weather. That said, I wouldn't trade back. :)

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Water cooled is an advantage down here in Houston. YMMV depending upon geographic location.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The rear cylinder tends to get hotter on Harleys because of a lack of air circulation, liquid cooling helps keep both cylinders more of an even temperature.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
I truly believe the liquid cooled is to satisfy current government emission standards more that for the good of the machine.

I could be wrong but that is my take. I don't want all that heavy crap hanging on my bike.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
I truly believe the liquid cooled is to satisfy current government emission standards more that for the good of the machine.

I could be wrong but that is my take. I don't want all that heavy crap hanging on my bike.
But, obviously, the ones without that heavy crap still meet emission standards or they couldn't sell them. I would bet money the "heavy crap" will only get worse.

Hope my '13 lasts a long long time.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
right Joe but I think the emission standards are changing and we will see this on more biles. I do not know if this is tied to something like the CAFE regs for cars. Speculations on my part. feel free to ignore.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
CAFE is combined average fuel economy in case this is questioned

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,018 Posts
Liquid cooling is coming for all of us on newer bikes in the next few years. I was skeptical on the first editions of this system when I had a long discussion with one of the factory guys from HD about it, and when I asked him what would happen if I suddenly lost the cooling liquid on one of the cylinders, he replied, not much of anything. But that was then and this is the direction we are heading.
For the record, I found installing a good oil cooler makes things run a tad cooler especially this far south.

·
ZVO
1,416 Posts
Liquid cooling is coming for all of us on newer bikes in the next few years. I was skeptical on the first editions of this system when I had a long discussion with one of the factory guys from HD about it, and when I asked him what would happen if I suddenly lost the cooling liquid on one of the cylinders, he replied, not much of anything. But that was then and this is the direction we are heading.

For the record, I found installing a good oil cooler makes things run a tad cooler especially this far south.

Does HD sell better oil coolers than stock?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,018 Posts
I've used the one that mounts below and front of the voltage regulator, and so far no complaints.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
I've got no complaints about stock, especially after cat removal. It's not hit to ride anymore, at least not in Illinois weather.
cat removal cures it but to my point on the regulations, they do not like the idea of us removing cats

1 - 20 of 57 Posts