Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am trying to decide what I want to do with the ironhead, and one of the changes I definitely want to make is getting rid of the "car battery". Freeing up some of the space there would give me more options for the oil bag.

I've been looking at lithium-ion batteries, like this: Lithium Ion Motorcycle Battery

Of course, any of the modern batteries are smaller than they were in 75. But, it seems they make these batteries to be approximately the same size as stock just to fit the battery boxes.

Couldn't a lithium-ion battery conceivably have the CCA of a larger battery, but be even smaller than the modern size motorcycle battery? Maybe half the size or less?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
They probably are using the additional casing to insulate the batteries and perhaps provide some additional shock absorption.

Li batteries don't like heat very much, and they can be a bit fragile. I'd guess the vibration would not be very good for them.

They also don't have the shelf life of a AMG battery. They just don't last as long.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i.ve has a LFX36L3BS12 installed in my '09 tri glide for over a year with no problems.
because it smaller you use rubber pads to take up the difference (pads provided).
i got mine from batterystuff.com. you do need its own battery charger for winter
or you can put in the ice box. with 540 CCA i can tell the difference in cranking power.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,327 Posts

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, y'all. Like I said, just trying to think outside the box to fit a much smaller than original battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts