Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time on this forum,and would like some opinions.I plan on trading in my 02 fatboy for either a RK or SG.I'm sure others here have done exactly what i plan to do.Pros and cons if any would be appreciated.General opinions.What would be the differences between the windshield of a RK compared to the fairing of the SG inregards to wind buffering.thanks

·
1,074 Posts
I had a 98 Road King Classic and was torn between a Street Glide or an Ultra. Whichever came first for the right price was going to be purchased. Got the Ultra but either was going to do.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
The Road King for riding around can't be beat. It is a good long distance bike as well.

The Street Glide if you plan on long distance riding. The fairing and stereo sure make some trips more enjoyable.

They are basically the same bike, only one has the fairing and attendant goodies.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
The Street Glide is the coolest Harley in the touring line up. An inch lower and chromed up straight from the factory. Either one will handle like a dream compared to the Fat Boy. The buffeting depends on the angle of the sheild and how tall it is. The "Bat Wing" on the SG has different height windsheilds available to get it just right for your taste.

·
Just Ride
239 Posts
Rkc

Well I'm kinda partial towards the RKC. I looked at SG and Ultra but at this time alot of long distance trips wasn't the case. For me it is commuter ,small weekend trips and a long one here and there. Able to fit all my needs at this time. I feel it's alittle more nimble maybe alot. It took awhile an alot of talking to other folks to help with the choice.

It depends on the riding your planning to do. There always room for two, or aleast an upgrade later on:confused::confused::confused:.

Maybe this helps maybe it won't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Test drive both! I have a RG and like it better because of the fairing mount to the frame not the forks like on a SG. Its up to you, but either way you will be happy with the HD!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses.I'm probably like Darien1965 as far as type of riding.But partial to the RK instead of the RKC.I'm going to have to demo each to see.The RK advantage to me atleast is it's versatility especially since i would add apes if the RK is my final choice.But the SG is such a sweet looking ride that i'm going to really have a hard time with this.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
It IS a tough call. When I moved to a touring bike, I dismissed the RK (actually, it's predecessor, the FLHS) simply because it just seemed like a larger version of what I already had (a Heritage Classic). I LOVE having the stereo, locking saddlebags, etc. and the added weight of a full-size, fork-mounted fairing was very easy to get used to.

The SG is just plain sexier, IMO.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Street Glides are harder to find these days. The dealers just didn't order in very many and they are in short supply.

The extra chrome out of the box and the black and chrome engine makes for a good looking bike as well.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
The SG is just plain sexier, IMO.
Ewww.....there is no such thing as a sexy bagger. It doesn't exist. No, hun unh I'm not listening.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same problem this year when I wanted to traded my Heritage Softale in. I ended up with the Road King for a couple of reasons. One, it rode better then the Street Glide. The shocks are about an inch and a half longer in the RK. I also found I would scrape the floor boards on corners with the street glide and not on the road king. But the biggest reason was how versatile the road king was , You could go from a decked out touring bike to a bad ass cruiser in about three minutes. Just remove the windshield and back rest\tour pack and you had a fat boy look with the handling of an electra glide. This for me was more important than a radio with a non removable fairing. Also for the price of the Street Glide, you might as well buy an electra glide and strip off the parts to make it look like a SG then the other way around. A stock SG, you have to buy the back rest, luggage rack, passenger floorboards, and the EG had these as stock items. I am very happy with the Road King, when I ride with the girlfriend, we have it set up as a touring bike, when I ride alone, I hate the windshield and backrest. Love the wind in my hair and the bugs in my teeth.:D

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
I just traded in an 05 RKC for a 09 SG and wow what a difference in bike. I thinks it's probably the new frame and motor mounting.It handles amazing and almost drives itself. The only problem I could find was the small 4" windsheild. Only for looks or around town riding. These new FL's rock big time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forgot all about this thread even though i started it.
FWIW i ended up purchasing an 08 RKC its a special color that was only available apr/may 08.Liking to be different i ended up with this bike and got a pretty good deal between the bike price and my trade.No regrets.

Attachments

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Congrats,that bike looks awesome and seems to have lots of extras.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks.Actually i need to update the pic since it was taken by a friend just after i got it.I got some monster ovals coming in and once they are on i'll update it.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts