Discussion Starter #1

·
Wayward Son
23,227 Posts
:nah

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
there will be some buyers. i wont be one of them. in theory, its a good thing. in all practicality, im pretty skeptical.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
Waaaaaaay overpriced. Had it been around $12k, maybe, $30k is insane.

·
Wayward Son
23,227 Posts

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
i could not have justified even $10k. i didnt give anywhere near that for my softail, and it would be used basically for the same purpose. scoot around town for an hour or two, then back in the garage.

·
Road Junkie
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with you, Dave. It will take a determined "early adopter" to make this purchase and will likely start with some of the flashy entertainers as a prestige buy.

H-D recommends a 220v charging unit (like those used for electric cars) to enable a quick (35 minute) charge. Charging using a 110v outlet is available, but will take ~8.5 hours. The estimated range is 110 miles, which isn't too bad for a commuter.

While Zero Motorcycles is the other US manufacturer of electric motorcycles, I think the Livewire is intended to compete with the Energica Ego (made in Italy) in terms of performance and price point.

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
its about the same to me as electric cars. until they make them where theyll run farther on a charge, make them quickly charge on a wall outlet, and make them where everyone who rides can afford to buy one, theyre not gonna be a sucess.

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
yep. matt laidlaw has already vowed to buy the first one if hes able to get the first one. nothing against matt. but, i dont have more money than God. so, im not a prospective buyer!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Yeah, 110 mile range. Charge time using regular 120V is 8 hours. Its a lot shorter if you can use the special charging station that I bet will only be available at a Harley dealer for quite a while and you will likely have to wait in line to use it. If they sell a bunch of these so there is still hope. OK, they are fast but that just means all the much sooner until 'empty'.

So here would be my typical rides on one of those things.

1. Wait until late in the afternoon, ride 200 miles (you don't want to go to 'empty' just as you wouldn't with gas). Have a place planned out that will allow you to hook up, stay the night and head back the next morning. You can't do any running around at your destination, you are out of electrons. You are stuck where ever you are sleeping.

2. Head out what ever time of the day you feel like. Ride 50 miles (maybe one hour) turn around where ever you happen to be and straight home. Round trip 110 miles, about 1 hour. Two hours, 100 miles round trip.

A typical ride for me is from 200 to 300 miles. Can't do that. I have a habit of just riding, usually back roads and such. Go for a while, come to a crossroad and flip a coin. Rinse, repeat. From here in W. Kentucky I did that one day, one of those beautiful perfect riding days, and next thing I know I am in E. Indiana about 100 miles from Cincinnati. Afternoon now so I consulted the GPS to find a quicker way home. Got home about 1/2 hour after the sun went down. Great ride, enjoyed the day and never would have been able to do that on a 'lectron burner. Not for me. Not sure who the expected customer is. Maybe the commuter doing less than 50 miles to work, then back and on the charger for tomorrow. But for $30k. Freakin Prius is a better deal for that.

And, after all that its got going for it, bugger is still uglier than a Victory.

·
Registered
10,678 Posts
Geeze! The ad says the only thing you will hear is your heart pounding or something like that. And the ad says no clutch and no gears to shift. And it says the range is 110 miles after which it might only take 35 minutes to charge on a 220 outlet but will take 8-9 hours on a 110 outlet.

I could never be in the market for one of these even if they were only $50 each. And if you GAVE me one I might ride it to lunch 70-80 miles away. On the way back from lunch when the battery took a shit I would push it to the side of the rode and hitchhike home.

If the day comes (soon cause I'm 71 now) that I can't ride a real fukin' bike I'll start spending the warm time of the year on the lake riding my jet ski.

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
read the promo closely. STARTING AT $29,799.

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
id bet one of the "add ons" will be some sort of a system that will add some "harley sound" to it.

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
if it was $10k, id still give the extra for a cvo.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts