Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Fatboy that gets loaded into a toy hauler with a side garage door. I can load it with minimal trouble but am looking to make it a bit easier. Right now I need to get a running start and run it up the ramp and be quick on the brakes to avoid going through the side of the camper.

I'm thinking of installing a winch in the floor. I would attach the cable to the front forks and pull the bike up the ramp.

Anyone see any problems with this idea? Or have a better one that does not include buying another camper?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've seen whinches advertised for loading motorcycles into pick trucks so I imagine it could be adapted for what you want to do. I'm just wondering what area of the toy hauler would be strong enough to act as an anchor point.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,374 Posts
This is what it can look like...... When done

I also made a unit two trailers ago that pinned to the floor.

Also makes unloading a shitton easier

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Your bike has more torque than you may be giving it credit for. The first time I loaded mine, I sped up the ramp like I used to do on my dirt bikes. I have since learned that it has the grunt to pull its way up the ramp at an easily controllable walking speed.

--

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your bike has more torque than you may be giving it credit for. The first time I loaded mine, I sped up the ramp like I used to do on my dirt bikes. I have since learned that it has the grunt to pull its way up the ramp at an easily controllable walking speed.

--
I figured it has the power to get up the ramp. That's not my problem. It's any little bit of moisture on the tires or ramp means my tires spin so my thought for the winch is not to address any torque issues but traction. Have already had problems where I didn't make all the way up because of barely wet grass that I started in and had to walk it back down.

It's doable, but just looking for something easier.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen whinches advertised for loading motorcycles into pick trucks so I imagine it could be adapted for what you want to do. I'm just wondering what area of the toy hauler would be strong enough to act as an anchor point.
The floor, as that's where the tie downs are.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what it can look like...... When done

I also made a unit two trailers ago that pinned to the floor.

Also makes unloading a shitton easier
I don't think I have enough room for what you have, but that's similar to what I'm thinking. I have been giving some thought to maybe mounting the winch under the floor and running the cable up through the floor to the garage area.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Could mount the winch to the floor and up to a pulley that gives you the height you will need to attach to your front end as your bike will be lower then the floor when you start your accent into the toy hauler. If that makes any sense to you at all. Might be better to mount it to the wall at the proper level to attach to your bike if you feel the wall will be stout enough to handle the pull from the weight of the bike. How about attaching a wench to the top of the door that the bike goes in. secure the bike to the ramp and then activate the wench and level the ramp and roll the bike in ???? Wow sorry im rambling !!! Let us know what you come up with.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,967 Posts
I figured it has the power to get up the ramp. That's not my problem. It's any little bit of moisture on the tires or ramp means my tires spin so my thought for the winch is not to address any torque issues but traction. Have already had problems where I didn't make all the way up because of barely wet grass that I started in and had to walk it back down.

Yup. A teaspoon of moisture makes it slicker than snot on a brass door knob.

The fix is easy though. Go to your local boating/marina supply place and buy 4" wide grip tape. I made a 2' wide path up my ramp with the tape strips placed about 4" apart.

Never spin a tire.

I ride right up it in first gear, hit the chock and stop. No worries.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup. A teaspoon of moisture makes it slicker than snot on a brass door knob.

The fix is easy though. Go to your local boating/marina supply place and buy 4" wide grip tape. I made a 2' wide path up my ramp with the tape strips placed about 4" apart.

Never spin a tire.

I ride right up it in first gear, hit the chock and stop. No worries.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I have the anti-skid surface already, but I'm going to add that tape and see if that helps.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could mount the winch to the floor and up to a pulley that gives you the height you will need to attach to your front end as your bike will be lower then the floor when you start your accent into the toy hauler. If that makes any sense to you at all. Might be better to mount it to the wall at the proper level to attach to your bike if you feel the wall will be stout enough to handle the pull from the weight of the bike. How about attaching a wench to the top of the door that the bike goes in. secure the bike to the ramp and then activate the wench and level the ramp and roll the bike in ???? Wow sorry im rambling !!! Let us know what you come up with.
Actually, I had been thinking about some of the things you mention, especially the "ride the bike onto the door then raise the door" option.

I think this is what I'm leaning toward most right now. I had been thinking of cutting out the floor and mounting under the floor but just wasn't sure exactly how I wanted to do it. But found this link and I like it. Plus, my nephew us a welder so I have some good help.

Below the floor winch setup.

I figure I can add a roller inside that folds out when needed, plus a skid plate on the ramp door hinge and I should be golden.

This is going to be a while in the making because I have other projects right now, but wanted to start thinking about just how to do it.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,967 Posts
I have the anti-skid surface already, but I'm going to add that tape and see if that helps.
Mine has the anti skid surface also. It is fine dry, but wet it is slick.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts

Put a strip of carpet down and it will quit spinning that tire.
OR expendable steel mesh stuf what ever its called

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put a strip of carpet down and it will quit spinning that tire.
OR expendable steel mesh stuf what ever its called
Had thought about the steel. I think it's called stretch steel. But hadn't thought about the carpet. Might be worth a try.

Although, for a little while it is now a non-issue. Ran into a guy today and now my bike needs some work. So it's going to be off the road until I get it fixed anyway. No injuries, so all good in the end I guess.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had a similar problem when loading my Ultra Classic into my utility trailer. The angle of the rear drop down ramp was too steep to prevent the bottom of the engine case from hitting the transition point between the ramp and the floor of the trailer. I bought a relatively cheap lightweight foldable aluminum ramp designed for 1500 lb. ATV's and use it to extend the length of my trailer ramp. I raise the end of the trailer's ramp about 10-12" with two cheap floor jacks, add the ATV ramp and I can smoothly and slowly ride up into my trailer.

It's not as sexy as your ideas but it works for me and my Social Security budget. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts