Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will have to say that I had my doughts in the past.....But I can say that for a fact it works and here how I know....I have had this Craftsman riding mower for about 3 years and EVERY time I went to mow the damn steering wheel bolt would be loose and the wheel would be all floppy and I would have to go get a 7/16 socket and tighten the crap out of it for the last 3 years...I put some blue Loctite on it about a month ago and its still tight with no hint of getting loose...:thumbsup

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
It been in use a LONG time. I'd think someone would have figured them out by now if it didn't work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Banned
447 Posts
Blue Loctite is for stuff that needs to be removed or adjusted. Red Loctite is for permanent installation. My gunsmith put Red Loctite on the scope rings of my 45/70 Govt. -- and it pisses me off. I'm not able to move the scope in the rings or use the scope on another rifle.

There's a solvent for Red Loctite, but I haven't gotten around to finding it. I expect Home Depot would have it in the "cement / epoxy" section.

I put blue on my arrow tips -- so they don't unscrew in the straw bales.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If you are not concerned about cosmetics (as you may be with the rifle), melting something else or blowing yourself up, a short exposure to heat with a propane torch will usually allow you to break loose anything that has been set with red locktite.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Loc-tite is all psycgological, its all in yer head, kinda like taking a sugar pill for a headache and headache goes away !!

Its only working cause you just think its working!!:rofl:

But really, I think it works better now then it used to for some reason.

I remember using it as a kid and not thinking much of it, but then again I probably didn't have things clean and in a hurry!! :)

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
I used to install commercial printing presses.

If the the manufacturer of a $13M printing press designed to run 24 hours a day and 7 days a week uses Locktite on everything I am sure there is a reason.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
If it wasn't for "Loc-tite", There'd be Harley parts layin' around everywhere....And guys on Softails laughin at us.....:bluduh

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
Blue Loctite is for stuff that needs to be removed or adjusted. Red Loctite is for permanent installation. My gunsmith put Red Loctite on the scope rings of my 45/70 Govt. -- and it pisses me off. I'm not able to move the scope in the rings or use the scope on another rifle.

There's a solvent for Red Loctite, but I haven't gotten around to finding it. I expect Home Depot would have it in the "cement / epoxy" section.

I put blue on my arrow tips -- so they don't unscrew in the straw bales.
LOCTITE Solvent, Clean Up, 2 fl.oz. - Adhesive and Gasket Removers - 4KM49|76820 - Grainger Industrial Supply

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,658 Posts
If it wasn't for "Loc-tite", There'd be Harley parts layin' around everywhere....And guys on Softails laughin at us.....:bluduh
Funny.... over the years how many parts I've put on and was instructed to use loc-tite on fasteners, not just on bike's either!:bike-038:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Loctite has a green version for fasteners that are already put together. It wicks into the threads but It is on the stronger side between red and blue. Been using it on industrial applications f or 15+ years

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
I thought loctite was designed for Harley Davidsons in the first place. Since the 80's I've been saying that if it can keep a bolt or screw tight on a Harley it's gotta work on these old F14 Tomcats I used to work on. 242 is your friend just don't dowse the screw or nut, a little drop is all you need.

Loctite® Threadlocker Red 271™ is designed for the permanent locking and sealing of threaded fasteners. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. It is only removable once cured by heating up parts to 500°F (260°C).

I like that green 290, I never used it but will order some asap. I like the thought of applying it to torqued hardware.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts