Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I'm riding an '06 street bob and am experiencing a very long crank time on the first ride of the day, or after it's been sitting for several hours, like while I'm at work. It's a brand new battery, terminations are good, voltage is right where it should be. It's been getting worse lately, where it could crank for a solid 7 - 10 seconds before the engine finally catches and turns over. Once it finally turns over it runs just fine ...

Any thoughts? Any one deal with this same issue and figured out the problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Like Schmidty said, or maybe the fuel pump check valve. Are you waiting till the fuel pump stops priming before you crank it over? Try cycling the key off again after the pump stops priming, then do it again before cranking. If it starts right up after doing that it's definitely fuel pump/filter related.

Sent from my coal fired bag phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like Schmidty said, or maybe the fuel pump check valve. Are you waiting till the fuel pump stops priming before you crank it over? Try cycling the key off again after the pump stops priming, then do it again before cranking. If it starts right up after doing that it's definitely fuel pump/filter related.

I've waited for the priming to stop and also tried cranking it while it's still ringing and have had the same results. I will try try cycling the key off, like you suggested and see what that can tell me. What do you think it could mean if I still have the same problem after cycling the key off and on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I tried cycling the key on and off to prime the engine more than once before trying to crank it ... I wouldn't say it turned over right away, but definitely took about half the amount of time as it would have otherwise. Seems like you guys might be right on the money about the fuel filter and/or pump

Thanks for the advice! It's much appreciated!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
What appears to be happening is that the fuel system is losing pressure. There are several things that can cause this that unfortunately are inside the fuel tank. Could be the filter, cracked regulator housing, hole in a fuel line to name a few. It's gonna have to come apart....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What appears to be happening is that the fuel system is losing pressure. There are several things that can cause this that unfortunately are inside the fuel tank. Could be the filter, cracked regulator housing, hole in a fuel line to name a few. It's gonna have to come apart....

Gota do what I gota do. Thanks again for the advice, hopefully gona get it over to my guy sometime this week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts